What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Post by sprintcowboy »

Your welcome austin.texas.
Glade to help.
blackest_knight

Post by blackest_knight »

First a niggle.

On the taskbar the recent documents icon looks like a clock while the settings Icon looks like a ^. I keep finding myself trying to bring up recent documents with the settings icon. It seems more natural for a pop up list to use the ^ a gear wheel / Spanner perhaps might be better for settings.

Now the real reason for this post.

When you go to the top left corner to get the expose' overview of the desktops it exposes them side by side this works well for 2 desktops, once you have 3 or more it becomes difficult to see what is on a particular desktop.
As it is each desktop will light up if the mouse is over it. I would like to suggest a small change.

Increase the size of the focused desk top to approximately the size it is when you have 2 desktops to display.
naturally you would have to shrink the other desktops further but that doesn't matter, The user isn't trying to see what is on the other desktops.

e.g

oooo normal over view

oOoo 2nd Screen has focus
ooOo 3rd screen has focus

Hopefully you can see that this is more practical for the user and hopefully fairly easy to implement.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Just went through this post again and i see a lot of complains about Cinnamon. During reading a question popped up in my mind..........

Will all of these shortcomings or defects fixed in the latest version or update of Cinnamon???

I have little confidence in this...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I haven't read the entire list, and of course everybody has personal preferences (hence the existence of so many WMs and DEs), but have you taken a look at the Cinnamon 1.6 preview? http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=195
d00med

Post by d00med »

I'd like to be able to set the font on the Cinnamon panel to match the rest of the UI, or have it inherit the UI's font preferences.
morri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morri »

bimsebasse wrote:
morri wrote:Cinnamon looks great, although I am missing the scroll bar arrows.
also there does not seem to be an obvious way to edit a theme yourself.
It's not Windows, you are not more or less stuck with the default theme - you can choose from hundreds of window/gtk themes, and I believe most of them have scrollbar arrows.

http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xconten ... c8cba79ec8
I havent used windows in years, where did I say anything about windows? I have got Lubuntu on my older PC, and used older versions of mint and ubuntu before . What I mean is the lack of theme editing tools, at least I havent found any obvious ones, and editing the theme file of cinnamon also only got me half the results I wanted. (I changed tool tip to be black/ grey, but that only applies to the panel) If you say that you can use emerald or similar in cinnamon then fine, but so far I havent found a way to do something as simple as turning the green marking colours on GUIs to a different colourand so far nobody seemed to have any answers for that either.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

You can't, but you can easily download a theme that suits you better than the one Mint happens to come with by default, that's what I meant.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Actually I liked Cinnamon when I tried Mint 13 a couple of weeks ago - it looks much better than Mate and is much more usable than pure Gnome3. But now that I'm using Mint 13 XFCE, Cinnamon seems sluggish, bloated and unstable in comparison. I know it's still new and might get there, eventually, but really, why bother when XFCE is running so smooth ?
poliltimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poliltimmy »

I updated to 1.6 this morning. Now the desktop font is grey. Was white in 1.4. Can this be changed back some how? Some how this solved itself. :D
Last edited by poliltimmy on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwsutherland

Post by cwsutherland »

I also updated to Cinnamon 1.6, the best part is that it removes the dependency on libedataserver 3.23 which is used by Evolution. So now I have Evolution 3.43 running, with Cinnamon, which also fixes the annoying imap bug I had with the repo version.

It doesn't seem to load any faster despite all those lines of code being removed, but it's definitely the best alternative to Gnome 3, in my opinion anyway.

Craig
http://road2it.com
morri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morri »

well I for example just don;t like xfce. I havent got mint on my pc (the old and slow one) I have got lubuntu on there which is fine, but this laptop is newer so it is not sluggish at all, it is behaving pretty quick :),
In any case I have found that gnome colour chooser works for the things I wanted to do (well for most guis xD) and thats good. I was thinking about changing my icons to gnome colour brave(the blue one anyway but I like the log out icons too much in this icon scheme so I keep it for a while ;)

In any case is there a way to keep brightness on a fixed level? it always starts up on 100 % and I turn it down manually via the brightness app.
Also soemthing else I have been looking for was the fixing of the scroll increments. if I am using a mouse at the moment the increments are tiny(like 5 scroll wheel turns for one page) but the mouse app only gives you pointer speed and clicking. if anyone knows the right path to any file to edit...
neeeub

Post by neeeub »

All is cool with cinnamon. It's what made me come back to a linux desktop.
Giancarlo PSK

Post by Giancarlo PSK »

I think there is some important point that needs to be improved. First, Cinnamon is not stable like Gnome3, but it's so normal, is a young DE and it needs more time. About the features, I think that the expo view is really well done on Gnome3, better than Cinnamon. Also, menu is very slow to be open, and also scrolling is not always fluent. But i love this DE, hope really that the development will be improved and followed by a lot of devs and people :D
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Giancarlo PSK wrote:I think there is some important point that needs to be improved. First, Cinnamon is not stable like Gnome3, but it's so normal, is a young DE and it needs more time. About the features, I think that the expo view is really well done on Gnome3, better than Cinnamon. Also, menu is very slow to be open, and also scrolling is not always fluent. But i love this DE, hope really that the development will be improved and followed by a lot of devs and people :D
Not sure what you're saying, as Cinnamon is Gnome 3. It's just a different shell for it. I personally think the Expo view is much better on Cinnamon, and I love the how it handles workspaces altogether. I only find the menu slow to open on first click. After that it opens instantaneously every time for me.

If I had to list something I'd like to see improved for future releases, it's perhaps a little more transparency on the desktop effects. I like the zooming windows and the ease out effects when minimising or closing windows, but I'd like to see them with some Ubuntu-style transparency. Would look better imho.
nomko

Post by nomko »

What i like to see is a tool or add-in or plugin which can fine tune Cinnamon much more. A sort of Ubuntu tweak and Gconf editor and Gnome-settings in 1 application which can do more "under the hood".

And that horrible hot corner thing, how to disable that? I really hate this in Cinnamon. Everytime when i move a window over the desktop and let ot loose, it maximizes over the whole desktop which i don't want. Really, is there a way to stop this?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Cinnamon Settings is already more complex and has more settings options than Ubuntu Tweak. The hot corner can be disabled from there as well (you should check Cinnamon Settings out, it's in the menu). Ubuntu Tweak is better designed, though, Cinnamon Settings is a mess to look at and getting increasingly labyrinthine to use as the options increase.
nomko

Post by nomko »

bimsebasse wrote:Cinnamon Settings is already more complex and has more settings options than Ubuntu Tweak. The hot corner can be disabled from there as well (you should check Cinnamon Settings out, it's in the menu). Ubuntu Tweak is better designed, though, Cinnamon Settings is a mess to look at and getting increasingly labyrinthine to use as the options increase.
So...installing Ubuntu Tweak under Cinnamon is a good idea? Or bad idea? Personally i love that tool.
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra »

The only complaints I have is the menu button delay (I've counted up to 3 seconds on occasions) it really is quite annoying and places disappearing form the menu list, other than that I think it's a great DE that can only get better
nomko

Post by nomko »

bimsebasse wrote:Cinnamon Settings is already more complex and has more settings options than Ubuntu Tweak. The hot corner can be disabled from there as well (you should check Cinnamon Settings out, it's in the menu). Ubuntu Tweak is better designed, though, Cinnamon Settings is a mess to look at and getting increasingly labyrinthine to use as the options increase.
Disabling Hot Corners doesn't work. It's still working after disabling it. There must be a more permanent solution.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

And that horrible hot corner thing, how to disable that? I really hate this in Cinnamon. Everytime when i move a window over the desktop and let ot loose, it maximizes over the whole desktop which i don't want. Really, is there a way to stop this?
I'm wondering if there's some confusion here, because that's not what the hot corner means in Cinnamon. The hot corner is the way of bringing up all the virtual desktops so you can pick between them.

I think there is a way of turning off the auto-maximising of windows, but I don't know what it is, I'm afraid.

Return to “Cinnamon”