How to get back my "infinite pixel" scroll bars?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

How to get back my "infinite pixel" scroll bars?

Postby gauche on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:31 am

Hi,

I just upgraded from Mint 12 using GNOME to Mint 13 using Cinnamon. Apart from a couple of quirks, I am absolutely loving it. One of those quirks is that my scroll bars have changed from this:

Mint12ScrollBar.png
Mint12ScrollBar.png (800 Bytes) Viewed 939 times

to this:

Mint13ScrollBar.png
Mint13ScrollBar.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 939 times

My problem is not with the style of the scrollbars - it's with their functional behavior.

In Mint 12, I had an "infinite pixel" scroll bar. That is, it pushed up right against the edge of my screen with no margin. Therefore, I could push the mouse right to the edge of the screen and still be able to click on the scroll bar. In Mint 13, the scroll bar is offset from the edge of the screen, so I have to be careful not to go too far right.

Is there any way to have this fixed? In my opinion, every vertical scroll bar in every maximized window should adhere to the infinite pixel rule. I can't help but notice the cinnamon menu adheres to this rule both on the horizontal and vertical axes.

PS. I believe UX types have a standard term for "infinite pixel", but I can't remember what it is.
gauche
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to get back my "infinite pixel" scroll bars?

Postby gauche on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 am

Not sure if bumping is frowned upon in these parts, but bump. Anyone?
gauche
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stopgo on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 am

I have the same issue..
Tried it in gnome classic session but it didn't fix it.

There appears to be a 1 pixel gap even when the window is not maximised.
When the mouse cursor is over the scroll bar, the scroll bar turns a darker shade of grey. When the mouse cursor is over the window border you get the resize cursor (white arrow pointing to a vertical line). In between there is 1 pixel where the mouse is not "over" the scrollbar.
stopgo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aes2011 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:17 am

gauche wrote:...PS. I believe UX types have a standard term for "infinite pixel", but I can't remember what it is.

Fitt's law?
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Postby palo on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:11 am

In Mint 12, I had an "infinite pixel" scroll bar. That is, it pushed up right against the edge of my screen with no margin. Therefore, I could push the mouse right to the edge of the screen and still be able to click on the scroll bar. In Mint 13, the scroll bar is offset from the edge of the screen, so I have to be careful not to go too far right.

You would have to go full screen (F11) to have it work that way.

Is there any way to have this fixed? In my opinion, every vertical scroll bar in every maximized window should adhere to the infinite pixel rule.

Not sure if there is a way to "fix" it but if you did then you wouldn't have a zone to recall a hidden panel or dock with the mouse would you?

I can't help but notice the cinnamon menu adheres to this rule both on the horizontal and vertical axes.

?

Pat
~/mintmaya/xfce/enlightenment
Help Vampires: A Spotter's Guide
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby abnvolk on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:55 am

Please use another theme - it is theme-specific.
abnvolk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby palo on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:41 am

abnvolk wrote:Please use another theme - it is theme-specific.

Confirmed - disabled my dock and with GnomishDark theme the scrollbar goes right to the edge of the screen.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby stopgo on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 am

I tried all the themes that came bundled with Mint13, all seem to have the problem. I then went looking for GnomishDark which wasn't included, and wan't in the list available through clicking on Get New Themes".

I found this http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=147290
It's not a cinnamon theme, and wouldn't load initially, but I found by renaming the gnome-shell directory to cinnamon, and the gnome-shell.css to cinnamon.css it would load.
It doesn't look right, because it's not a cinnamon theme.

The 1 pixel problem is still there.

If you can describe what else you might have done to fix this, it would be much appreciated.
stopgo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby palo on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 am

stopgo wrote:I tried all the themes that came bundled with Mint13, all seem to have the problem. I then went looking for GnomishDark which wasn't included, and wan't in the list available through clicking on Get New Themes".

I found this http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=147290
It's not a cinnamon theme, and wouldn't load initially, but I found by renaming the gnome-shell directory to cinnamon, and the gnome-shell.css to cinnamon.css it would load.
It doesn't look right, because it's not a cinnamon theme.

The 1 pixel problem is still there.

If you can describe what else you might have done to fix this, it would be much appreciated.

Sorry you are having trouble with this and I will try to help. It sounds as though you went to too much trouble to do this and would suggest you undo what you did. After extracting the theme you move it to /usr/share/themes. Select that theme both under both Theme and Window Theme (click picture to enlarge). Restart Cinnamon for window theme change to take effect.

Pat

Edit: the pic shows the FF window unmaximized and there is of course a visible edge to allow resizing with the mouse. When the window is maximized that edge is no longer there.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby stopgo on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:56 pm

I can see where I went wrong now. Thanks for the pointer.
Managed to get it to work.
stopgo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby palo on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Excellent! I appreciate the awareness of this from the op - I now have my dock on the left side to use this little convenience. BTW if you use this particular theme check the README in the folder to fix apps that do not play well with dark themes.

Pat
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby vitvrn on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:23 am

In Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon changing of "Window borders" setting from "Mint-X" to anything else worked for me (on default theme - "Linux Mint"). It's in:
All Settings - Themes - (tab) Other Settings
vitvrn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Cinnamon