How To Change Panel Font Settings?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buzzingrobot

How To Change Panel Font Settings?

Post by buzzingrobot »

Is editing cinnamon.css the appropriate way to change the font and font settings used in the panel?

I notice that cinnamon.css begins with a "font-family: sans, sans-serif" entry. Does that pick up the fonts configured in Cinnamon Settings? If so, which one?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ginsu543

Re: How To Change Panel Font Settings?

Post by Ginsu543 »

Yes, that's how I did it on mine. I made a copy of the original cinnamon.css and saved it as cinnamon.css.orig. Then I made the following changes in cinnamon.css:

Code: Select all

stage {
/*	font-family: Ubuntu, Droid Sans, Trebuchet MS, Liberation Sans; */
	font-family: Moderne;
	font-size: 9pt;
	color: white;
}
Notice that I added the /* */ tag to comment out the original line and changed the font-family to the font I wanted, which in this case was Moderne. You can change the font size and color here as well.

As far as I know, the Font settings in Cinnamon Settings do not affect the panel at all.

Hope that helps.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Ginsu543 wrote:As far as I know, the Font settings in Cinnamon Settings do not affect the panel at all.
That's right, they don't.

I wish there was a special theme editor... :)
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Yeah, it would be nice to have a GUI frontend to take care of such things. I had to go through quite a bit to figure out how to change the menu selected item color because I wanted the Zukitwo Dark theme but preferred the menu selected item color of Zukitwo.
buzzingrobot

Post by buzzingrobot »

Ginsu543 wrote:Yes, that's how I did it on mine. I made a copy of the original cinnamon.css and saved it as cinnamon.css.orig. Then I made the following changes in cinnamon.css:

stage {
/*	font-family: Ubuntu, Droid Sans, Trebuchet MS, Liberation Sans; */
	font-family: Moderne;
	font-size: 9pt;
	color: white;
}
Notice that I added the /* */ tag to comment out the original line and changed the font-family to the font I wanted, which in this case was Moderne. You can change the font size and color here as well.

As far as I know, the Font settings in Cinnamon Settings do not affect the panel at all.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, it does. Although that line in my file looked like this: "font-family: sans, sans-serif".
buzzingrobot

Post by buzzingrobot »

Well.... Fonts in the panel *were* bold, which is how I want them. Then, they weren't. Thin and weedy all of a sudden. I chhanged what seemed to be the apropriate setting in cinnamon.css -- labeled as panel settings -- to bold and restarted the desktop via alt-f2. Whoops! The panel vanished. Windows changed position. The keyboard mapping in the editor I was using (vi in a terminal) went nuts. Window decorations disappeared. I had to reboot from the terminal. The panel returned. But, the settings I had included in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf to configure my Logitech Marble Mouse had vanished and the file had returned to its original state.
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

That's weird!
d00med

Post by d00med »

How about changing the font for the desktop icons?

[edit]

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
Open dconf Editor --> org / nemo / desktop

Return to “Cinnamon”