White space around tray icons until restart panel?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iveand

White space around tray icons until restart panel?

Post by iveand »

I am wondering if anyone has any information about the white space that shows up around "non Mint" icons in the system tray. Two examples are the ibus icon and the synapse (launcher) icons. Please see my attached screenshot below:
whitespace.png
Note that if I alt+f2 then r, the icons will then appear correct (they are then correctly centered and they also don't have any white space on the right and bottom). So clearly it seems to be some problem of not loading in a correct sequence or something? Mainly wondering if others have already noted this bug and if there is any update on it. I tried searching the forum here for "white space tray icon" but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abnvolk

Re: White space around tray icons until restart panel?

Post by abnvolk »

Hi! Which version of Cinnamon are you using? I guess it's 1.4, because in 1.6 the developers seem to have fixed that problem :)
iveand

Post by iveand »

Sorry for the delayed reply. Had a little "mis-setting" regarding having myself notified of replies to the post.

Anyway, I am running cinnamon 1.6 and yes, the white space around the icons still persists, as the prior poster also confirmed. Is there any link to the previous bug report that abnvolk implied was fixed for 1.6? I couldn't find any but if I had the reference I would be happy to contribute to testing.

iveand
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I had this, but I went into the Cinnamon settings and set the panel to Use Customised Panel Size, and Allow Cinnamon To Scale Text. It's fine now. :)
iveand

Post by iveand »

I still have this problem. I did set the panel to "use a customized panel size" and also to "Allow Cinnamon to scale panel text and icons". When I did these settings, the icons were immediately resized! But, on reboot, back to the familar "white space" on the right and bottom. Doing a "Alt+F2, r, enter" will reset the icons nicely, but the next time either of them changes (the ibus icon, for example, changes when a different keyboard is selected) it will be back to the white space again.

Not a huge deal, but an ugly quirk.

I am on Cinnamon 1.6.1 and the behavior seems to remain unchanged.

I should also note that ticking the above selections "customized panel size" and "Allow Cinnamon to scale...." will KILL the Skype tray icon. Have to manually "killall skype" and then restart for the icon to come back.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Condorman wrote:I had this, but I went into the Cinnamon settings and set the panel to Use Customised Panel Size, and Allow Cinnamon To Scale Text. It's fine now. :)
Thanks, this fixed the white space issue for me. :)

Return to “Cinnamon”