Fix Scrollbars Please!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chumpkins

Fix Scrollbars Please!

Post by Chumpkins »

I updated to the latest build of Cinnamon 1.6.1 using the romeo repository. I am glad to see new features fixed such as panel and text scaling. My biggest gripe at the moment with Cinnamon are the fixed scrollbars. I know you can set the scrollbar width in Gnome, but Cinnamon has fixed scrollbars and I think they are too small. I tried using GNOME Color Chooser to set the scrollbar width, but it is inconsistent. The scrollbar width is bigger in Firefox, but not in the menus. Also, the scrollbar needs up and down arrows like in Windows. It would be nice if the default theme for scrollbars could be changed to a different style and look.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Fix Scrollbars Please!

Post by remoulder »

If you don't like the default theme then change it. Appearance settings are a personal preference and because you don't like the defaults shouldn't mean everyone else should switch to the ones you like.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Chumpkins

Post by Chumpkins »

Why shouldn't scrollbar width be a setting in Cinnamon? It has nothing to do with the desktop theme, its a feature of GNOME and it should be a setting in Cinnamon. I happen to like using the Minty theme, I just would like larger scrollbars with more features such as up and down arrows.
naike

Post by naike »

I don't think most people use those things to be honest. I'm surprised anyone does, but why not.
Wouldn't expect it to be implemented anytime soon though haha.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Gnome color chooser is for gtk2, Cinnamon and gnome 3 use gtk3 which AFAICT currently has no equivalent tool for user modification of theme elements.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Bobt250

Post by Bobt250 »

I am running cinnamon and also hate the side scrollbar. It's way to skinny. Would like to make it wider. Are you saying there is no way to do this?
quantor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by quantor »

dito. - I really would appreciate if it would be possible to make the scrollbars more useable.It would even help, if we could config it anywhere, but now it's way too small
kbcz

Post by kbcz »

I would also like this very much. Default scrollbar is too thin (and ugly).

@remoulder: Why would I change the theme?! I like the default theme very much, I dont like how thin the scrollbar is!
mintyy

Post by mintyy »

Hi,

count me in. Changing the theme would be unnecessary when scrollbars could be configured freely. Please make it an option. (Also removing the "one-pixel-off gap" to the right border of the screen should be possible)

cheers
thupten

Post by thupten »

please make option to change scollbar color. its too hard to see. I switched to multiple themes but they all have the same hard to see kind of scrollbar.

Return to “Cinnamon”