cinnamon goes plane

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exxil
Level 2
Level 2

cinnamon goes plane

Post by exxil »

Quite often lately, meaning most every day, Cinnamon will go weird looking. The icons looks very different and looses it's depth in a way.
I have tried restarting gnome, but that does not fix it. However rebooting does. After rebooting it will stay ok for while before it goes weird again.
When I do the reboot I will usually get a message saying something about Gnome settings daemon.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that the applets (in the bottom of the screen) also goes weird and looses my configuration and will make a mess of the open applications, menus etc

It is a bit annoying :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Re: cinnamon goes plane

Post by twodogs »

Hi,

What MInt version are you using? Cinnamon version? You have not provided enough information.

With just the info you have given, try this... reboot and at login screen click the 'session' link and choose 'Cinnamon.' This will log you into a 'new' Cinnamon environment and not the one you used last time. If this does not fix the problem then post a screenshot of the problem.

Thanks.

PS: I found a post on askubuntu.com that might help you.
exxil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxil »

I am using Mint 13 64-bit with Cinnamon.
I do not usually log in on boot up. The system log me directly in.

These are screenshots of the problem. The first on is how it should be and the second is when it goes weird.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

You have some kind of config or segmentation fault going on and it is reverting to the plain Gnome icons and theme. I assume you have Cinnamon 1.3 installed?

Have you tried re-installing Cinnamon? First try this... go to ^ in the systray (next to clock) and go to Troubleshoot and restore all settings to default. You might have installed some theme/icons maybe that borked it up. Use default theme/icon settings.

Open Synaptic and search 'cinnamon.' Right click and remove completely. Apply. Then, re install Cinnamon.

If that does not work, I'm not sure what will fix it. I did a lot of googling and there's a heap out there. If it was me I would re-install whole system. Backup everything and just start over. I might find some fix, but some part of me would nag me to death that the problem was not really fixed until I do a re-install. By the way, I am using Mint 13 Cinnamon Maya 64-Bit with Cinnamon 1.6.4 and never experienced this.

Cinnamon version --> in terminal 'cinnamon --version'

Good luck!
exxil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxil »

cinnamon version is 1.4.0
I can reset cinnamon applets and the toolbar at the bottom will fix itself and last for about 3 minutes before it goes strange again.
I could as you said reinstall the whole system, but it took me quite a lot of work to get it all set up with samba, ssh server, and stuff to be able to access a shared drive from internet so just thinking about reinstalling makes me nervous. Also because I am not the only one that relies on this system to work :(
colinmcc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colinmcc »

After letting Mint do some updates on my mintbox pro this morning, I have the same problem. My Icons looked exactly like yours ie greeny, before and now they look like the strange grey ones.. With the same changed symbols on them.

I also notice my icons for things like file manger have changed (was a small browny icon with a squiggle, now it looks like a file cabinet,) the firefox icon has reverted to the fox and not an eye, the gimp icon has reverted to the head with paintbrush, in firefox the back/forward/reload buttons have changed and so on.

However unlike you restarting the computer does not change things back!

I am running Mint 13 64 bit, running cinnamon --version tells me Cinnamon 1.4.0 (I don't know what it was before the update ran)

My x11 and screen drivers also broke and from having dual screens which were different sizes with one rotated and one normal, I now only have both mirrored and with sharing the same resolution. Un-ticking the Mirror box and clicking apply just throws errors..

I'm totally lost as to how a upgrade should have screwed my system so comprehensively! I've now wasted a whole day trying to fix this but no luck so far. :cry:

Thanks for any help!

Return to “Cinnamon”