Cinnamon and the slow menu from the stoneage

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Does your Cinnamon-menu pop up INSTANTLY, without the slightest lag or delay?

Instantaneous - I have an nVidia graphics card
18%
Instantaneous - I have an AMD Radeon graphics card
6%
Instantaneous - I have Intel HD Graphics
7%
Instantaneous - I have something else
No votes
Lags with delay - I have an nVidia graphics card
24%
Lags with delay - I have an AMD Radeon graphics card
16%
Lags with delay - I have Intel HD Graphics
24%
Lags with delay - I have something else
7%

Total votes : 136

Re: Cinnamon and the slow menu from the stoneage

Postby Raven135 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Take a look at this discussion: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2597
That is an interesting idea.
Raven135
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Redsandro on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:35 am

I just installed Mint 16 RC, and the problem is still there.

This is just completely retarded and incompetent. I know these problems are an upstream heritage from GNOME Shell. But now that Cinnamon is a stand-alone product, I hope they will finally get around to fix this unbelievable problem.

When you reinstall all your software packages back to a convenient state, Linux Mint 16 boots faster than it takes the first time to open the menu. :(

Okay that's not true. But this delay is still pure BS. I can't believe there are devs out there in the Shell team who are just happy with this.

In other news, Mint 16 boots awesomely fast!
Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Previous1 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Recently switched to Mint 16 Cinnamon, and had the same issue until I installed fglrx 13.11 from AMD.com (radeon 6450)
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Postby InkKnife on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:08 pm

I just upgraded to Mint16 and while there is still a bit of delay, it is much less than I experienced in 15.
InkKnife
Level 4
Level 4

Postby surruk51 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 pm

I have this problem too.
About a 3 second delay if not used for a while (which is commonly the case)
About a 1-1.5 second delay all other times
Occasionally a much longer delay with no apparent reason.

Tested in Cinnamon 2d and Cinnamon
Tested with the theme I was using (I forget which, but non standard) and Cinnamon theme.
System set up (just the possibly relevant bits)

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory : 3642MB (812MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Date/Time : Wed 18 Dec 2013 08:20:51 WITA

-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard

-SCSI Disks-
ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABD0
Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH

Can I also add that ploughing through message after message that implies "I don't have this problem, so I can't help", or "I don't have this problem, it must be very unusual" or 'I don't have this problem - are you sure you are not imagining it" is not actually very helpful at all.

For those of us who DO have this problem, it is 100% pain, EVEN if we are only 1% of the Cinnamon population, and it seems that in fact it IS quite common.

I would GUESS that for those who do not have the problem, there is a background process working that the menu display calls on to display the current menu state and for the rest of us, for some reason it has to build from scratch, maybe because something installed prevents that from working properly. For example, I have the chinese language input method installed - which interacts with d-bus. Not saying this is it, but maybe something like it.
surruk51
Level 1
Level 1

Postby problemchild2 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 am

Joined just so I could post the fix.........

What worked for me (mint Petra + Cinnamon) laptop= dell vostro 1500 core 2 (old and slow) was to right click/configure on the mint logo (menu logo button) and UNCHECK "Open the menu when I move the mouse over it". Before I unchecked it I set the delay time to 0 from 750ms just as an added measure. I actually went back and unchecked every item checked later. But unchecking the mouse over took my menu delay from about 5 seconds down to almost instant (maybe 50ms now).

Hope that helps someone...........
problemchild2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Blackhawks13 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 pm

I had this issue as well as very bad performance on games. For instance tux racer was unplayable. I have a quad core amd machine with 8gb of ram, and using onboard radeon 3000 graphics. Mate, xfce and KDE all work as they should, I've settled on mate. I hope this issue is resolved because I really like the features and look of cinnamon and would go back as soon as it works properly. Has anybody noted the same problem using LMDE or is this isolated to the ubuntu based version?
Blackhawks13
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anandrkris on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:06 am

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2597 - Check here for a discussion.

I was testing the main menu of some Desktop Environments (Mate and Xfce) to find out why their menus are so much faster than Cinnamon's menu. Well, I think I found one of the possible reasons for it. Under Mater or Xfce the menu opens just by a mouse button press, I mean, the menu opens even before the user releases the mouse button. Under Cinnamon the menu only opens after the user releases the mouse button. In my opinion, this contributes substantially to the overall sensation of slowness. I know this may appear to be a negligible detail, but trust me, it makes a huge difference.

So my suggestion:

Make the menu open immediately when the user presses the mouse button. Don't wait for it to open only when the user releases the pressed button .
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path
anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Redsandro on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:35 pm

This is FINALLY fixed! In Linux Mint Cinnamon 17 x64, the menu is instant! :mrgreen:
Even after I installed a hundred new packages.

Very nice work. This is what would get accepted into "acceptable for mainline use" according to my standards. It is unfortunate that this is typical for Linux: A huge usability bug in core functionality was fixed in three years.

Now I can finally recommend the beautiful Linux Mint Cinnamon to everyone randomly during every awkward silence in any random conversation!
Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Postby WinterTroubles on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Redsandro wrote:....recommend the beautiful Linux Mint Cinnamon to everyone randomly during every awkward silence in any random conversation!

Now that is what I call a marketing campaign :mrgreen:
Linux noob...lurking in the corner...reading quietly...absorbing hopefully...possibly learning..

Mint17Cinn32bit

http://www.copy.com 15 GB free storage + 5GB referral bonuses available
WinterTroubles
Level 5
Level 5

Postby paul59 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:24 am

Now can someone fix my *massive* log-in delay? :D

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=171089

Paul
paul59
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Cinnamon