Mint 14 Cinnamon: where did the Wacom settings applet go?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gwi
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 14 Cinnamon: where did the Wacom settings applet go?

Post by gwi »

In Mint 13 Cinnamon there is a Wacom settings applet (under System settings - Hardware).
In Mint 14 Cinnamon it seems to be gone.
Is it gone, or has it been moved elsewhere?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Regards,

George

Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria Cinnamon 64-bit, Asus Vanguard B85, Intel Core i7 4770S
user88

Re: Mint 14 Cinnamon: where did the Wacom settings applet go

Post by user88 »

Was this ever solved? I'm having the same problem.
gwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gwi »

No, I haven't found it yet.
It is not in the repositories, and the only answer to my question is your question :(

Maybe it is in Mint 14, I haven't tried that.
Regards,

George

Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria Cinnamon 64-bit, Asus Vanguard B85, Intel Core i7 4770S
tjk94

Post by tjk94 »

I'm also having trouble locating the gui. I thought I had found it in /usr/share/applications as there is a "Wacom Graphics Tablet" icon, however double clicking it only opens the system settings window. The command it attempts to run is 'gnome-control-center wacom' however running that in a console window returns:

Code: Select all

** (gnome-control-center:9679): WARNING **: Could not find settings panel "wacom"

** (gnome-control-center:9679): WARNING **: Could not load setting panel "wacom": Unknown error
and likewise opens system settings. Most puzzling :(
Favux

Post by Favux »

System Settings is what they are calling the gnome-control-panel. Don't know how much if any they have modified it for 14.

If the applet is there maybe it isn't active for some reason. To see if the Wacom configuration gui is active first install dconf-editor if needed. You can use the following command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install dconf-editor
Then in the terminal open it by running:

dconf-editor
Go to org.settings-daemon.plugins.gsdwacom. Is the active box checked? If so under org.settings-daemon.plugins.peripherals.wacom you should see the same VID:PID of your plugged-in tablet you would see if you ran lsusb.
tjk94

Post by tjk94 »

As you can see gsdwacom:active is set to true (default value). I have tried toggling it and restarting cinnamon but it has had no effect. That is why I am so puzzled...everything I have seen so far indicates that it should still be there but it isnt.

I also can't seem to find the wacom subsection of peripherals you mentioned.

Favux

Post by Favux »

I also can't seem to find the wacom subsection of peripherals you mentioned.
So is the Wacom plugin installed?

I believe I have found the Wacom applet plugin location in Precise: /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/wacom.gnome-settings-plugin. Do you have that?

Other Wacom applet related stuff is at /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon and /usr/share/gnome-something.
tjk94

Post by tjk94 »

Favux wrote: So is the Wacom plugin installed?

I believe I have found the Wacom applet plugin location in Precise: /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/wacom.gnome-settings-plugin. Do you have that?

Other Wacom applet related stuff is at /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon and /usr/share/gnome-something.
Yep, wacom plugins are installed and the tablet works I just cant access the settings applet.

I do have a wacom.gnome-settings-plugin in /gnome-settings-daemon-3.0 and a gsd-wacom-led-helper in /gnome-settings-daemon. Couldn't find any other wacom stuff in the other "gnome-" folders.
Favux

Post by Favux »

Getting weirder because it all seems to be there.

When you look in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/ui do you see the wacom .svg's and gnome-wacom-properties.ui?
tjk94

Post by tjk94 »

All of the above appear to be there as well...this is so strange, even more so because multiple people are having the problem. Do you use a tablet Favux, and if so are you on LM14? This would be even more odd if only some people cant access the settings.
Favux

Post by Favux »

Yes I have a tablet, but not 14. I have 13 and LMDE. I held off on 14 because Quantal seemed to be a bit of a mess when released. Wanted to see if the Mint dev.s dealt with some of the issues. Like the lack of kernel-headers so the proprietary video drivers could install normally with dkms.

If I had 14 I might be of more use. Oh well.
der

Post by der »

Hi, I had the same problem on Mint 14.

I solved it by deleting the line

NoDisplay=true
in /usr/share/applications/gnome-wacom-panel.desktop

I have no idea why this line exists
Favux

Post by Favux »

Hi der,

Thanks! And welcome to Mint forums!
der wrote:Hi, I had the same problem on Mint 14.

NoDisplay=true

The .desktop files are for autostarting applications, scripts, launchers, etc. And NoDisplay=true would prevent the autostart entry for wacom-panel from showing up in Startup Applications. Did you have to then check the active box of the wacom-panel entry when it appeared in Startup Applications to get it to autostart?

I think NoDisplay=true is a way for the Distro to control what autostarts, and I guess what doesn't, without the user being aware there is a choice. Because .destop files can also be in a couple of locations in the system files. I don't remember exactly where. Maybe in /etc and possibly /usr/share?
tjk94

Post by tjk94 »

der wrote:Hi, I had the same problem on Mint 14.

NoDisplay=true

I can confirm that this works. Thank you very much! Now if only I could get the tablet button mapping to work so I could ditch my shifty shell script based method ;P
Favux

Post by Favux »

What tablet do you have? The libwacom in 14 doesn't handle out of sequence ExpressKeys/pad buttons from the kernel like the BambooPT's have. I believe that has all been fixed now. I base that on the fact that Olivier Fourdan is busy adding nifty tablet button layout diagrams to libwacom for the Wacom configuration applet, including for the Bamboo Pen and Touches. Fancy stuff! So 15 I suppose.
tjk94

Post by tjk94 »

I've got a bamboo create but the button mapping screen has always been blank for me. Right now I have the buttons performing some key combos which I have custom keyboard shortcuts running shell scripts to perform various xsetwacom commands. I have however noticed that custom keyboard shortcuts (all of them, not just triggered by the tablet) don't work in LM 14...I just haven't taken the time to look up a fix for that yet though.
SirSavage

Post by SirSavage »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone could give more specific details on how to edit the code in this file. I'm enjoying linux, but it is a real deal-breaker for me if I can't get both my Wacom Bamboo working, as well as some programs in wine.

I have tried to find the exact file mentioned and the best I can do is /usr/share/applications/Wacom Graphics Tablet This is a desktop configuration file, but I don't know how to edit it. Opening the file just opens the control panel.. and the graphics tablet options are not displayed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
rimbaum

Post by rimbaum »

SirSavage:

What I recommend doing is opening up a terminal, and type the following commands:

cd /usr/share/applications
sudo gedit WacomGraphicsTablet.desktop
This will open up a text editor where you can look for this line and change it, using root permissions, since the files in this section are generally write-protected.
SirSavage

Post by SirSavage »

Thank you. It worked, but what a pain. Linux has a lot going for it, but the terminal commands vocabulary needs to be updated. I want it to be like an early 90's lucas arts adventure game; where I get an answer to whatever question I type.

You can put that in the Mint suggestion box and say it was your idea. Tit for tat.
hissingshark

Post by hissingshark »

Hi all,

Just upgraded from Mint 13 to 15 and there too the setting applet is missing from the settings manager.

I've been following the advice above (re: Mint 14), but I can not locate any .desktop file relating to Wacom etc.

Any updated solutions for Mint 15??

Many Thanks,

Return to “Cinnamon”