Cinnamon Update broke MDM Login screen.....

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hogfan

Cinnamon Update broke MDM Login screen.....

Post by hogfan »

I am on Linux Mint 13. I enabled backport repos and updated to Cinnamon 1.6 and Nemo. Two things were broken after the update. I searched here and found how to fix the missing window titles and big tray icons, but after the update and rebooting, my MDM login screen supposedly cannot be found and default to the ugly default login screen. I was using a GDM theme named Mint and had renamed the gdm to mdm files appropriately. Since updating, the files for the theme are still in /usr/share/themes, but I am unable to choose the theme from the login screen app in Cinnamon. Trying to install a new MDM theme just tells me the theme package is not a valid .tar or .tar.gz when it is. Any ideas how to fix this?

-hogfan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Myrmidon83

Re: Cinnamon Update broke MDM Login screen.....

Post by Myrmidon83 »

Bumping.

I'd like to know this as well, my old gdm converted themes no longer work. :(
yaye

Post by yaye »

Well, since you haven't gotten a response, I'll give it a shot. I was having this problem using the Tobacco Sky GDM Login theme in Linux Mint 13 MATE Desktop. I had tweaked it to run with MDM. After an update (? backport sources added),the theme no longer worked. Tonight I downloaded the original, untweaked GDM Tobacco Sky theme and installed it. It installed without problems and I'm using it again. Hopefully for Cinnamon also, the solution is to install the unaltered theme.
Last edited by yaye on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I think it's because the devs have made MDM compatible with GDM themes, so you don't need to change the .desktop file :)
longtom

Post by longtom »

Yeah - converted my converted theme back to Gdm and lo and behold - all worked. Somebody could have told me ... grumbel ... :? :mrgreen:
hogfan

Post by hogfan »

Sweet! I'll give this a try. Thanks for the reply!
-hogfan
yaye

Post by yaye »

hogfan wrote:Sweet! I'll give this a try. Thanks for the reply!
-hogfan
You're welcome.

Return to “Cinnamon”