Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 and multiple monitors

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steven6282

Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 and multiple monitors

Post by steven6282 »

Ok well I've been having a problems getting Cinnamon to work with multiple monitors for a while now. But with 14 coming out I had really hoped some work had been done on this and fixed it possibly, but doesn't seem like much luck. I can get it work as long as I don't install ATI drivers, but as soon as I install ATI drivers Cinnamon loses it's mind. And mods, please don't move this post to a hardware forum like you did last time, this is not a hardware issue, it is definitely a Cinnamon issue since other distros can work with it. Has anyone been able to get Cinnamon 14 to work with 3 monitors on an ATI card with the ATI drivers? If so, how did you do it?

Also, without the ATI drivers installed, I can get some resemblance of multi monitor support using the built in display manager (even though my TV used a monitor doesn't scale right for 1080p and leaves large portions of the pictuer off the screen), however it seems to be very buggy. Can only change one thing in the Display's manger then have to hit Apply because it wont let anything else be moved after moving one thing. Also it will not let me drag the little black piece to change the primay monitor at all. If I try to drag it, it just stays on the monitor it put it on and then I have to hit Apply to even try to drag it again. But it will never actually drag.

I've been looking but can't find it, anyone know what file these settings are saved in so I can go manually edit the file instead of using the gui to change this?

EDIT: Nvm, found the file it's saved in. It's under ~/.config/monitors.xml So I was able to edit this file to get around the gui bug and change my primary monitor, however this still doesn't help me fix the overscan on the TV which is what I want to use as my primary monitor. I can't use it as primary though because the panel and everything around the edges of the sreen go off the screen. This is the main reason I want the ATI Catalyst drivers installed because they fix this automatically, and even if they don't you can modify the overscan to fit properly on HDMI connections. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
walter_w

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 and multiple monitors

Post by walter_w »

I hope you can edit your post title to add <solved>, to indicate you have found a solution to your problem.

Return to “Cinnamon”