Cinnamon menu issue with apps sections and favorites

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dale Cooper

Cinnamon menu issue with apps sections and favorites

Post by Dale Cooper »

Hello peeps,

I'm new to the board but long time Linux user and Mint user since LM11. Just registered because it's the first time I need help that couldn't find by searching the web.

Yesterday I've had a weird issue : on my freshly installed LM14 I was playing with nvidia config in order to setup dual-screen with 2 gfx cards, then after a reboot I was unable to launch Cinnamon ("could not update .ICEauthority").
My home folder and everything within belonged to root:root. I couldn't determine the cause but after fixing the owner/permissions I was able to launch Cinnamon.

Now I have a problem with the menu : it pops up well, but no application section (under "all applications") is clickable so I only have access to the full list of apps. I can search to filter the apps no problem, and I can click the apps themselves to launch them. With a right click I can add the apps to the launchbar and to the desktop, BUT I can't add them to the favorites, nor I can delete one from the favorites.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jonnieo

Re: Cinnamon menu issue with apps sections and favorites

Post by jonnieo »

I have the same problem. The menu was like this after my inital install of Mint 14
jonnieo

Post by jonnieo »

I've now fixed this issue by going to "Cinnamon Settings->Menu" and then unchecking "Show bookmarks and places", then logged out and back in. Not the best workaround, but it worksaround.
Gargula666

Post by Gargula666 »

Also had the same problem and solved like above!

Return to “Cinnamon”