Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Re: Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Postby Booman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 am

I must have had something conflicting with Nemo before I re-installed Mint 14... now its not having any problems copying large folders with thousands of files.
Booman
Mint 14 32-bit
Wine 1.5.30
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List
Booman
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby xazax on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Try to delete files from ~/.thumbnails/large and ~/.thumbnails/normal and make ~/thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files empty. Does that helps?
xazax
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gogolink on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:16 am

xazax wrote:Try to delete files from ~/.thumbnails/large and ~/.thumbnails/normal and make ~/thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files empty. Does that helps?

That didn't help in my case. Deleted some 9000 files from ~/.thumbnails/normal, a much smaller number from ~/.thumbnails/large; didn't find "gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files"; found instead ~/.thumbnails/gnome-thumbnail-factory, which I also emptied.

But Nemo is as slow as ever.
gogolink
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tyrson on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:05 am

I agree on this too, there's a noticeable lag while opening directories etc..

I installed Mint on a VM though, maybe it affects it somewhat..
Tyrson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Booman on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:12 pm

I would be shocked if the slowdown was because of thousands of icons.
I know its a lot of icons, but geesh, shouldn't Nemo be optimized to use them when necessary?
Booman
Mint 14 32-bit
Wine 1.5.30
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
Booman
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rockhazard on Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 pm

I am experiencing this problem on my laptop (ssd). it's pretty annoying. As far as I can tell, it isn't happening on my desktop machine, but that is running 13 with backports.
rockhazard
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pressmanbill on Wed May 15, 2013 9:56 pm

I wanted to add my voice here as well.

I just installed Nautilus, and it appears to to take 1/4 to 1/3 the time to load a directory than Nemo. I'm using Mint 14.1 Cinnamon, a fresh installation on a fairly fast machine. 16 GB RAM. For what it's worth, Nautilus uses ~ 15 MiB, and Nemo 64 MiB.

Just installed Thunar as well -- that one is really fast (but, then, I lose the Tabs.).

I hope someone is working on this..... :D
pressmanbill
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pnneves on Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 pm

Can you please describe the exact steps to install nautilus (and if you uninstalled nemo, also pls).
I'm also using Cinnamon 14.1-32b and I'm really absolutely sick of how nemo is sooooo sssslllloooooowww :P

Thanks in advance!
BR
pnneves
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Booman on Thu May 16, 2013 11:22 am

Honestly, after my re-install of Mint 14 32-bit and updating, I havn't seen the problem. I'm not sure where it started, but I have been successfully copy/paste large directories from my flash drive & fedora server without any problems.
Every time I copy a directory I always wonder if nemo is going to crash and it doesn't.
Booman
Mint 14 32-bit
Wine 1.5.30
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
Booman
Level 3
Level 3

Postby pressmanbill on Fri May 17, 2013 6:44 pm

pnneves wrote:Can you please describe the exact steps to install nautilus (and if you uninstalled nemo, also pls).
I'm also using Cinnamon 14.1-32b and I'm really absolutely sick of how nemo is sooooo sssslllloooooowww :P

Thanks in advance!
BR

Although I wish otherwise, I am not an advanced 'nix user. Which means, I used the standard "Software Manager" to install anything I install, in this case: Thunar.

And also, I left Nemo in place (no un_install) in case it eventually is fixed. I have found no conflicts.

However, I found Krusader quite useful, more features than Thunar and still fast. Dolphin is another option, but it crashed for me. However, all are faster than Nemo.

I still would like to see Nemo fixed, as I don't want to have to create the bookmarks for my favorite directories in each file manager.
pressmanbill
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rtimai on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 am

I think I fixed Nemo's slow startup on my system, at least. Now I'm not running Nemo on Mint but on Ubuntu Unity. I installed Nemo without the Cinnamon desktop from the Ubuntu repos through Ubuntu Software Center, and followed instructions posted here and on http://www.fandigital.com for integrating Nemo with the Unity desktop. BUT I also had the slow Nemo startup problem, and I think for the same reason Mint users had it. Here's how I discovered this fix, and I hope it'll work for other users:

RATIONALE
I saw several suggestions to run from Terminal "nemo --no-desktop" and saw that Nemo started up quickly with the added option. But locking the icon that appeared in the Unity launcher bar, and then closing and re-launching Nemo using the launcher did not preserve the "--no-desktop" option, and Nemo still exhibited a long delay when starting.

DESCRIPTION OF THE METHOD OF THE FIX
I later learned that the xdg-mime command actually modified .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. I used cat to locate the nemo*.desktop files, examined them, and used "gksu gedit usr/share/applications/nemo.desktop" to add "--no-desktop" to the exec=nemo lines (which specifies the program to run.)

NOTES:
- I found three nemo desktop files: nemo.desktop, nemo-folder-handler.desktop, nemo-autorun-software.desktop.
- I added the --no-desktop option to all of the nemo desktop files with no unwanted effects -- and Nemo now starts up with virtually no delay.
- I haven't learned how to use xdg-mime to edit specific lines in the specific desktop files, so I used gksu gedit. Someone else may post the proper xdg-mime commands to do the same tasks.
- Beware that in the desktop files the Name= line will specify the filename that appears in the file browser. If nemo-file-handler.desktop or nemo-autorun-software.desktop contains Name=nemo, it will appear as a duplicate Nemo file in the file browser. So make sure that Name= line matches the filename in the Gedit tab when you save it.

In case it may help, below is the content of my /usr/share/applications/nemo.desktop:

Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Nemo
Comment=Access and organize files
Exec=nemo --no-desktop %U
Icon=system-file-manager
Terminal=false
NoDisplay=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;Core;
MimeType=inode/directory;application/x-gnome-saved-search;
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=nemo
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=1.72
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=nemo

- The current version of Nemo installed from the Ubuntu repos is 1.72 (see above.) Mint users' files probably will show differences, e.g., in OnlyShowIn= , and the X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version= lines, etc. Adapt these contents as appropriate.

Okay, that's it. I apologize if this is not crystal-clear. There are probably a half-dozen ways to make these changes, and different systems will have different entries, so it's difficult to be specific. I know this is a Mint forum, but the Mint forum appears to have the most extended discussion of Nemo's slow slartup. Mint users and other desktop environments that don't use the Unity-style lenses for launchers may be able to edit the launcher in the Gnome panel menu to add the --no-desktop option. Ubuntu Unity users, as far as I know, don't have direct access to the menus, and this is the only way to insure Nemo runs with this critical option.
rtimai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hughh on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:06 pm

rtimai wrote:I think I fixed Nemo's slow startup on my system, at least. Now I'm not running Nemo on Mint but on Ubuntu Unity. I installed Nemo without the Cinnamon desktop from the Ubuntu repos through Ubuntu Software Center, and followed instructions posted here and on http://www.fandigital.com for integrating Nemo with the Unity desktop. BUT I also had the slow Nemo startup problem, and I think for the same reason Mint users had it.

I am running Linux Mint and made the changes described. It seems to have helped, but Nemo is still slower than I think it should be.
--
"The [Linux] desktop is like teenage sex. Everybody's talking about it, but nobody's doing it." — Matthew Szulik
hughh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Booman on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:13 pm

I have to admit, I'm still having a problem with this.
A week ago I tried copying a 4 Gig folder from Fedora 18 to my Mint 14 Cinnamon and it would freeze.
I would have to kill nemo to fix the freeze, but trying again would result in another freeze.

Its very random and strange but other times I can copy at 12 Gig folder and it works perfectly.
I'm hesitating to install Mint 16 because I heard 17 will be the new long-term stable release.
Booman
Mint 14 32-bit
Wine 1.5.30
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
Booman
Level 3
Level 3

Postby inate71 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Booman wrote:I have to admit, I'm still having a problem with this.
A week ago I tried copying a 4 Gig folder from Fedora 18 to my Mint 14 Cinnamon and it would freeze.
I would have to kill nemo to fix the freeze, but trying again would result in another freeze.

Its very random and strange but other times I can copy at 12 Gig folder and it works perfectly.
I'm hesitating to install Mint 16 because I heard 17 will be the new long-term stable release.

Same here. I have a folder with some 1600 png files. Total folder size is 10mb. I tried copying and pasting all pngs to a separate folder--freezes. I kill Nemo and start again, this time in batches (about 16 pngs at a time). Freezes occasionally. It's frustrating beyond belief.

I guess I'm going to update to Mint 14 when it is available. It's a shame--I didn't want to have to worry about backing up all my data and stuff. :(

I got a SSD and 8GB of RAM with an Ivy Bridge i5 w/ Turbo Boost. No clue why this is an issue.
inate71
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Booman on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Actually, I do not have this problem any longer since I have updated to Mint 16.
Over the weekend I copied some huge games files:
1. Crysis Warhead 8 Gigs
2. League Of Legends 10 Gigs
3. Left4Dead 2 13 Gigs

They were copied from my Fedora 16 server and copied fairly well. League of Legends and Left4Dead 2 took a while because the files were not in compressed folders.
Booman
Mint 14 32-bit
Wine 1.5.30
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
Booman
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Cinnamon