Cinnamon 1.6 (mint 14) alt + click binding

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ankit Pruthi

Cinnamon 1.6 (mint 14) alt + click binding

Post by Ankit Pruthi »

I've searched the forums and tried all workarounds to change the alt+click windows behavior to super+click but nothing seems to work (including setting the key in dconf-editor, and the entry is missing in gconf-editor).

I did try setting the mouse behavior using the command:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier '<Super>'
However, this too does not give desired results.
Is it possible to change this at all? It is necessary for me to do so because nearly all 3D applications that i use rely heavily on alt+click combinations.
wolfshark

Re: Cinnamon 1.6 (mint 14) alt + click binding

Post by wolfshark »

I have the exact same problem, i just could not disable the alt+drag behavior. I need the alt key in Blender, but i can't use it. This situation is repeating itself too many times during the years. I've lost literally days trying to fix that problem.

I tried to set mouse-button-modifier to '<Super>' in dconf-editor, but that changes nothing. Actually it seems that dconf-editor is not working because i tried to change the position of the close and maximize buttons but that didn't worked too.
wolfshark

Post by wolfshark »

Up, the problem is a big one for me.
wolfshark

Post by wolfshark »

Up, i still have some hope that somebody will help.
gonnaditchmintsoon

Post by gonnaditchmintsoon »

Ah man! I have the same issue. Bump.

I found this but did not pursue it further https://github.com/rayza/Cinnamon/commi ... b9c59bcbe5
gonnaditchmintsoon

Post by gonnaditchmintsoon »

Solved!

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/pull/1293.

All you need to do is add 3 lines to cinnamon-settings.py . Read the bottom most comments for more details.
lexington523

Post by lexington523 »

I searched for a long time for this. I finally found a solution on my own. I have a much easier answer than most of the solutions that I found. This is confirmed to work in Mint 15 and probably is present in earlier editions.

go to: system settings --> windows
locate "modifier to use for modified window click actions"
change it from "Alt" to nothing.

and that's all there is to it. none of this complicated stuff. I don't know why that was so impossible to find in online forums.
cosminmstroe

Post by cosminmstroe »

lexington523 has the correct solution. Confirmed that it still works on Mint 16.

Do not edit any files.

Return to “Cinnamon”