Macbook Pro screen brightness

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Macbook Pro screen brightness

Postby MarcusKulik on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm having trouble getting brightness to work on a late 2010 MBP, when I hit F1 and F2 the notification pops up showing the brightness bar changing but the screen stays at 100% even going into settings and changing the brightness slider does nothing. This only started happening after I used the update manager to install all new updates (I installed mint 14 yesterday so I cant narrow down which update it was.

I tried xbrightness, didn't work
pommed, didn't work

I found a forum saying to add acpi_brightness=vendor right before "quiet splash" but when i loaded the kernel at boot I couldn't find quiet splash, I added it anyways and it didn't help

also many forums reference /etc/default/grub but I don't have a file named grub in that directory.
Is there something wrong with my mint installation? When I boot from a USB drive that doesn't have any updates installed everything works fine.
MarcusKulik
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Macbook Pro screen brightness

Postby rubaldo on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:06 pm

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2010. Everything works with the LiveCD like a charm, including LCD/keyboard brightness. However after the install, the screen brightness keys have no effect on the LCD though the Applet does show and respond correctly when the keys are pressed. Everything seems to work correctly in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04.

Were you able to find the fix yet?
rubaldo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Cinnamon