Strange systray behaviour

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Strange systray behaviour

Postby RickJ on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am

New Cinn 14 installation, and systray behaves oddly.
First, the app icons in the tray are widely spaced, there's almost room for another icon in the gaps.
Second, if any change is made to the panel (add an applet, move anything), then the systray icons turn to square blobs. The apps the icons belong to have to be restarted to fix it.

Any ideas?
RickJ
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Strange systray behaviour

Postby viking777 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Here are a couple of things you might try if you haven't already done so.

First right click the panel choose 'Panel Settings' and make sure 'Use custom panel size' is not selected.
Second right click the panel again select 'Add Applets to Panel' and remove the 'System Tray' applet then replace it again.

They are pretty simple moves I know, but sometimes simple works.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Orbmiser on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Ongoing bug issue? has continues with me about half the time starting up and has been discussed before.
Seems going to a different theme or icon set may help minimize issue but have used a different icons and still get the issue in varying degrees.

TaskbarRight.png
TaskbarRight.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 549 times

CinnamonTaskbar.png
CinnamonTaskbar.png (15.85 KiB) Viewed 549 times

Sometimes it's just the restart cinnamon and volume and settings icons are just invisible.
Sometimes it's letters missing in weather applet,Menu that is Me u or open apps on the taskbar showing Fir f x : T rm nal ,etc...

And a Cinnamon restart is required to resolve it.

Again this has been ongoing since I started mint in november and only with mint. Tried half-a-dozen Light vs. Dark themes and icon sets and changing fonts used. All with the issues to varying severity.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby RickJ on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 am

I've discovered that the systray always displays correctly after login, or cinnamon restart (cinnamon --replace &), but the moment you move anything on the panel it blows up again. Not a big problem therefore, as I won't continue editing the panel once I've got things set as I want them, but annoying nonetheless.

My overall impression of Cinnamon is that it's quite nice, but way less mature than gnome2 (as on Ubuntu Lucid), lacking many of gnome2's handy gadgets, and doesn't appear to offer any material benefits. Perhaps I should try Mate?
RickJ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby homerscousin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm

I just wish more people would say 'perhaps I should try KDE'. My opnion: more eye candy, more options, more stability and it just isn't that different on resources. And KDE 4.10 will be out in about 3 weeks.
i5 3570k, ASRock z77 Extreme 4, 8 Gb Ripjaws 1600, Antec 430w psu, HVR 1600 tv tuner, custom case- marble top, oak face. Carver & DCM Time Window sound system. Mint 14 KDE.
homerscousin
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Cinnamon