You other option is to rather install Linuxmint Mate. Mate runs WAY faster than cinnamon. Its got a bit of a plain look ( kinda like a mixture between windows 2000 and Windows XP ) but the speed is noticably faster. and if the look gets to plain you can always install Compiz which then enables all the 3D effects on Mate and even with compiz it still runs faster than Cinnamon.
Or if you want you can install Mate Desktop Enviroment ontop of Cinnamon, however it will be the default Mate, not the same mate that linuxmint supplies with their DVD ( there is a big difference between the two ). the default one is quite ugly, the mint one has a nice start menu, the default one doesnt. to install Mate on top of Cinnamon do this :
1. Click the Menu button.
2. Click the Administration button.
3. Click the Synaptic Package Manager button to start Synaptic.
4. Do a search for “mate desktop” without the quotes.
5. You’ll see a list of packages that can be installed, select the mate-desktop-environment package.
6. Click the Apply button to install your packages.
7. Log out of your Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon session.
8. Click the session icon on the login screen.
9. Click the MATE option.
10. Click the Change Session button.
11. Type in your user ID and password to login.
12. A menu will pop up giving you the option to use MATE as the default desktop, or to use it just for this session.
13. Your MATE desktop will load. You can go back to Cinnamon by choosing it on the session menu on the login screen.