Mint 14 Cinnamon not "shutting down gracefully"

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oODeanOo

Mint 14 Cinnamon not "shutting down gracefully"

Post by oODeanOo »

Hi,

I've recently upgraded from Maya (MATE) to Nadia (Cinnamon) but I have come up against a problem which I've experienced with LXDE & XFCE (both Mint 13 & Ubuntu 10.04) in the past on completely different hard and going back to a GNOME 2 or MATE was the only way to get around it.

The only way I can explain it is that clicking Shutdown & Restart will cause Mint to restart without seeming to send "a signal" to open programs that a shutdown is in progress and to close gracefully or request unsaved work to be saved, which results in Chromium reporting that it crashed or KeepassX having the database left locked and causing it to seem not to load first time following the restart but more serious is that applications like Writer will not prompt to save any changes, so documents could become corrupted or maybe a fair bit of work could be lost unless these programs are manually closed.

I'd really like to stick with Cinnamon as it looks great and performance seems better overall apart from this frustrating issue.

Thanks in advance,

Dean
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oODeanOo

Re: Mint 14 Cinnamon not "shutting down gracefully"

Post by oODeanOo »

Ok I think I've got a reason but not the answers!

The OS is shutting down cleanly, Chromium however never seems to close properly if Mint is shutdown while it is open. This behaviour is on both a VM and physical machine, so could be a general Chromium/Cinnamon problem.

KeepassX is another issue which is it will not open first time if it is set to minimised to the system tray. Changing this setting so that KeepassX doesn't minimise to the system tray means that it doesn't crash on first run, although oddly it always works second time.

While it's not ideal it works but I'm thinking of returning to MATE as while it's not as pretty it seems to be plagued with less little issues than Cinnamon and generally more stable.

Dean

Return to “Cinnamon”