Set number of workspaces in Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Set number of workspaces in Cinnamon

Postby robert3242 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 am

I recently switched over to Mint from Debian and first tried Mint 14 with Cinnamon. I found that both Mint in general and Cinnamon in particular ran extraordinarily smoothly and well, but I did run into one annoying issue I couldn't solve. Cinnamon seems to have no way to set the number of workspaces available. That being the case, every once in a while I'd be using some desktop application (often VLC in full-screen mode) and the app would suddenly shift to the other workspace. I disabled the "Hot Corner" feature, thinking maybe that was the problem, but that didn't help. Under other DEs I'm familiar with, normally the user can stipulate how many workspaces he/she wants. I always go for a single one, but didn't seem to have that option in this case.

It was annoying enough that I ended up going with Mint 13 (I like LTS editions) with Mate for now, but although Mate's a fine DE too, I'd readily switch back to Cinnamon but for that one issue.
robert3242
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Set number of workspaces in Cinnamon

Postby eanfrid on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:03 am

robert3242 wrote:I recently switched over to Mint from Debian and first tried Mint 14 with Cinnamon. I found that both Mint in general and Cinnamon in particular ran extraordinarily smoothly and well, but I did run into one annoying issue I couldn't solve. Cinnamon seems to have no way to set the number of workspaces available.

This is not an issue at all :shock: There are at least 3 ways to do this: by using the hot corner and adding/deleting workspaces from there, by using dconf-editor in Cinnamon menu (find "number of workspaces") or directly on the CLI: (for example):
Code: Select all
gsettings set org.cinnamon number-workspaces 6

and the app would suddenly shift to the other workspace
looks like you enabled the "edge flip" function in Cinnamon Windows settings :)
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
True private storage on SpiderOak
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Postby robert3242 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Good info and I'll probably go back to Cinnamon for my next install. I liked it a lot. Never occurred to me to try to use the Hot Corner before disabling it. Using the gconf editor did occur to me, but while I knew something about Gnome2, I know nothing of Gnome3 or Cinnamon in that regard. I didn't even notice the "edge flip" function, but no doubt I simply missed it. Your info was all good and much appreciated.
robert3242
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tlwest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Double Thanks! Worked for me. Any chance of this making it into the FAQ? :D
tlwest
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deep64blue on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:43 am

eanfrid wrote:This is not an issue at all :shock: There are at least 3 ways to do this: by using the hot corner and adding/deleting workspaces from there, by using dconf-editor in Cinnamon menu (find "number of workspaces") or directly on the CLI: (for example):
Code: Select all
gsettings set org.cinnamon number-workspaces 6

and the app would suddenly shift to the other workspace
looks like you enabled the "edge flip" function in Cinnamon Windows settings :)

I'm looking to set this permanently but there is no package dconf-editor and that command line is accepted but does nothing.

Running Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04.
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caribriz on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 pm

deep64blue wrote:I'm looking to set this permanently but there is no package dconf-editor ...

You need to install dconf-tools package.

When installed, open dconf-editor from Menu > System Tools -
Click down arrow next to org, click on cinnamon, in right pane scroll down to number-workspaces
Click on the line to right of number-workspaces (twice), enter number required, press enter
Restart cinnamon

and that command line is accepted but does nothing.

Again, you have to restart cinnamon to see the change.
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 17 Cinnamon)
caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Postby rwest on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:15 am

Thank you very much, this information was of great help, :D
rwest
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Cinnamon