Cinnamon Menu Problems

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Cinnamon Menu Problems

Postby mikerm on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:42 pm

I had a psu go bad in this box, and it caused the machine to reboot on it's own while I had the menu open, and now the menu isn't working right. Hopefully someone has some ideas.

Here is what it is doing/not doing:
- I can't right click on the "gear" menu icon in the panel to get to the editor (nothing pops up), but alacarte does work fine if started from console.
- Left clicking to open the menu works fine
- The shortcut icons on the left bar work fine (Power, log out, lock, etc)
- Search bar works fine and I can launch a program from the results.
- The categories (middle pane) do not work, I can't hover over or click on a category like "Accessories" or "Internet", it doesn't do anything, not even a highlight.
- I can launch programs from the very right pane, it shows all of the programs fine.
- Right click on an application in the right pane does work.

I'm assuming that maybe a file got corrupted or some permissions got corrupted? Any ideas at all?

I'm on Mint 14, completely updated.
mikerm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cinnamon Menu Problems

Postby roblm on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Have you tried to do anything since submitting this topic. I may have a solution to try out but it would restore your original desktop appearance and settings, but would not affect any installed programs. This would be a minor inconvenience compared to reinstalling cinnamon. Are you sure your mouse is working OK.
Updated information. Since the original author of this topic never responded, then I will leave this information in case anyone else experiences a similar problem. Delete the file that stores the Cinnamon desktop settings, to reset the desktop. This is a hidden file located in
"/home/user-name/.config/dconf". Delete the "user" file. Another one will be created at the next startup.
roblm
Level 5
Level 5

Postby antski on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:36 pm

I just had the same issue as the OP .. the middle list of the menu becomed completely unresponsive.
The fix suggested by mikerm worked fine to fix the issue ... though of course it changes all settings back to default, so I now have to go find out what my old settings were that I liked so much. Hey-ho :lol:
Thanks mikerm!

PS ... for the record, I didn't delete dconf but renamed it to dconf.old - just in case the fix didn't work or made anything worse (call me paranoid - I like to have a backout option).
antski
Level 1
Level 1

Postby reeslo on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi,

I am running on mint 15 cinnamon

I have the same problem, i try :

cinnamon --replace
i removed user
i removed the applet "menu" then readd to dashboard, the same

right click on dashboard -> troubleshooting -> reset

:'(
reeslo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby reeslo on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:56 am

i found fix here : https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+b ... omments/25

I just want to narrow down things a bit based on what's been learned here - if you can still reproduce this problem, try unchecking "Show bookmarks and places" in Cinnamon Settings -> Menu and restarting Cinnamon, and let me know if the problem persists.

Thanks

It work, I don't know why but it work
maybe my raid1 with mdad dunno...
reeslo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Cinnamon