Black screen after logon - one account only

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adoreadonai

Black screen after logon - one account only

Post by adoreadonai »

I searched for an answer and found similar issues, but none that anyone mentioned other user profiles without issue.

First I noticed at times my profile would go to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner upon logout. I only noticed this on one profile and it was intermittent.
Then yesterday on the same profile I noticed the desktop launchers/icons were missing.
Today I cannot logon at all from MDM. Upon authenticating the screen becomes black with only my mouse cursor (movable). After some time I ctl-alt-backspace and for a split second I can see the wallpaper before returning to MDM.

Others had reported being able to open terminal windows through ctl-alt-t while on the black screen (from the other similar threads I found). This is not my case.

Beyond this I can log into other accounts without issue.

Anyone having similar issues or have a solution? Thanks for your time.

Linux Mint 14 (x86)
Cinnamon 1.6.7
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Black screen after logon - one account only

Post by DrHu »

Copy a .profile that does work into your /home folder
--I assume you are allowed to enter the other account logons, at least to read them..

Other than that, the conditions you mention sound very odd, normal login/logout should never corrupt you logon account/profiles etc..
--you should still get your desktop theme and so on..
  • The only thing that might do that is a power failure: even a hard boot/power shutdown would likely be able to force-save that accounts (login..) data, and the next boot should be OK, except for some possible hard drive scanning .
adoreadonai

Re: Black screen after logon - one account only

Post by adoreadonai »

Thanks for your reply. I didnt get to try them. But I believe I managed to resolve the problem.

Both nautilus and nemo were installed - which Ive read causes conflicts.
Im not sure how nautilus was installed, if it is out of the box or was added as a dependency but removing it now allows that account to logon.

I also used dconf editor to restore the desktop icons, but in this case Im not sure if this was necessary because I had also removed nautilus which may have resolved all issues.

Return to “Cinnamon”