Cinnamon min. sys. req's?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The.Linux.Experiment

Cinnamon min. sys. req's?

Post by The.Linux.Experiment »

Hi all,

I tried installing a copy of Mint 13 LTS with Cinnamon on my older laptop but when I run the live CD its very sluggish. Even getting the display window to pop up for install takes a long time and does not display correctly. I can't help but wonder if its too much for my machine. Anybody know what are the minimum system requirements are proc, mem and vid?

Thks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cinnamon min. sys. req's?

Post by catweazel »

Try the MATE edition rather than the Cinnamon edition. Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3, which is very CPU intensive. I'm convinced that the Gnome 3 developers know nothing at all about the existence of hardware graphics acceleration on modern graphics cards.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
The.Linux.Experiment

Re: Cinnamon min. sys. req's?

Post by The.Linux.Experiment »

catweazel wrote:Try the MATE edition rather than the Cinnamon edition. Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3, which is very CPU intensive. I'm convinced that the Gnome 3 developers know nothing at all about the existence of hardware graphics acceleration on modern graphics cards.
I have tried the MATE edition along with K, X, U desktops but would like to see what Cinnamon is like. I know it is more, I've seen some benchmark numbers on CPU and RAM which would indicate less than I have but not minimums nor graphic specs, which is where I suspect my problem may lie.

Return to “Cinnamon”