Mint 13 : Cinnamon crashes after latest update

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robban59

Mint 13 : Cinnamon crashes after latest update

Post by robban59 »

Hi everybody,

I'm running Mint 13 with an NVIDIA 660 videocard and latest NVIDIA proprietary drivers, and all was ok up till yesterday evening.
Last thing I did before shutting down was to upgrade Cinnamon through Software upgrade, then I powered off for the night.
This morning I powered up and big surprise, Cinnamon keeps crashing and reverting to fallback mode.
I tried to uninstall Cinnamon and revert to ver. 1.6 but was not able, cinnamon-common couldn't be forced to ver 1.6, so I reinstalled Cinnamon 1.8.xxx latest ver from Synaptic and restarted, no joy still crashing and going to fall back mode.

Now I' m typing this from my Windows 7 installation, nice to be dual-booting...

Any useful log I could attach ?

Thanks to all for any help !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wolfyrion

Re: Mint 13 : Cinnamon crashes after latest update

Post by wolfyrion »

Try to uninstall all NVIDIA Drivers through terminal and restart ....

I think is something messing with latest cinnamon and opengl causing cinnamon to crash, is the same problem with the ATI owners...
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

My XFCE 13 also crashed after updates a few days ago. After rebooting sqlite was not working so Firefox, Thunderbird, System Monitor and other programs quit working properly. Also booting stopped for a long pause right after entering username and password. After a while it would boot and finally finish booting. I failed to be able to fix it so decided to reinstall Mint 13.

That went o.k. until it finished so I tried to reboot. No way, no grub!! My disk was not recognized and the error message stated that the disk did not exist, but the UUID the install had found was wrong. I have the correct UUID and would substitute it if I knew how or I could use the dev number if I knew how to edit grub. Now I boot with Super Grub and I could not find any way do the editing with it.

Thanks for any help on this.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Problem solved. Installer did not check for previous install grub location even though I checked the use previous installation setting. Grub had to be installed on a different location than the drive the install was on.

Return to “Cinnamon”