no password after suspend!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
samic
Level 1
Level 1

no password after suspend!

Post by samic »

when I suspend my laptop (by closing the lid or using Fn+f1) mint doesn't ask for password after waking up.

[url]http://i43.tinypic.com/2ry0ema.png[/url]

I've even put "gnome-screensaver-command --lock" on top of all these:
/etc/pm/sleep.d/novatel_3g_suspend
/etc/acpi/lid.sh
/etc/acpi/lockbtn.sh
/etc/acpi/sleep.sh
/etc/acpi/sleepbtn.sh
/etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
/etc/acpi/power.sh

but it doesn't lock the screen too!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JustMinted

Re: no password after suspend!

Post by JustMinted »

I have the same problem, except that it only occurs when I try to suspend via the Quit Applet. If I suspend my computer by first hitting the Quit button in Menu, my computer suspends and also prompts for a password when returning from suspend. I have no idea why I'm getting two different outcomes from the same action. Perhaps something was missed when the developers merged the two control panels?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

It's a know issue
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=135184
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
phr33k

Post by phr33k »

This problem will propagate to previous versions of Mint if you have the "Backports" box checked in Software Sources. My Mint 14 Cinnamon 32 bit stopped asking for a password after resuming from hibernate once a recent update was installed. :(

I "fixed" the problem by creating an executable text file named hibernate.sh with the following contents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
gnome-screensaver-command --lock && dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.UPower /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Hibernate
after looking at the workaround described in the link provided by @caf4926. You'll have to have uswsusp installed for this to work; it's in the Mint Software Manager.

I made a launcher on my cairo-dock that runs the above hibernate.sh script file. I decorated it with an icon I found on the web and now when I want to hibernate my laptop and be asked for a password when I power it up again, I just click the new hibernate launcher on my cairo-dock. By changing the word "Hibernate" to "Suspend" in the code box above, you can make a suspend launcher instead. I just close my laptop lid when I want to suspend though, which is hardly ever.
JustMinted

Post by JustMinted »

phr33k wrote:I "fixed" the problem by creating an executable text file named hibernate.sh with the following contents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
gnome-screensaver-command --lock && dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.UPower /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Hibernate
This turned out to be very handy, so thanks for sharing. I ended up jerry-rigging the applet I use for suspend/hibernate/etc and am now quite satisfied with power-down functionality.

As for suspending by closing the laptop lid, I'm not all that sure that Cinnamon uses those /etc shell scripts. Sorry, OP. I don't know where to begin to look.
carpmanvptr

Post by carpmanvptr »

I'm having the same problem. Is there somewhere I should file a bug report about this at?
JustMinted

Post by JustMinted »

carpmanvptr wrote:I'm having the same problem. Is there somewhere I should file a bug report about this at?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
You have to be a registered user to post a bug. As noted in another thread that was linked to in one of the previous posts, this particular issue has already been submitted => https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1185681

It doesn't seem to be a priority.
acidicX

Post by acidicX »

It doesn't seem to be a priority.
It's a freaking major security flaw. Everything, encrypted FS etc. is accessible without the credentials.
I can hardly believe this is still not fixed! Can someone please bump this up in the bugtracker?
cetrix13

Post by cetrix13 »

I also installed Mint 15 three days ago and found out this issue. I didn't have it on previous release, don't know how to fix it so force to lock laptop manually instead of just closing the lid :(
Marcel34

Post by Marcel34 »

acidicX wrote: It's a freaking major security flaw.
I agree!
dreyT

Post by dreyT »

2013: So, guys, how should I fix it?
On a fresh Mint15 install I have lockscreen automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity and after suspend, but on other notebook (where I upgraded from LM13 a haven't.
2015: Have LM17 ob both notebooks and have ame issue. shame, but have to use alias to suspend and hibernate securely.
oregonjohn

Post by oregonjohn »

2016 Aug -- I turned on the screen saver and set for 2 hours idle time.
When hibernate or sleep, it now asks for password.

Return to “Cinnamon”