Mounted drives uses Nautilus not Nemo

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Mounted drives uses Nautilus not Nemo

Post by solar1951 »

Even though I have Nemo set to handle the desktop when I plug in a USB key and double click to open the device is opened with Nautilus and not Nemo. There doesn't seem to be any configuration possible in dconf editor.
Any advice please.
Meant to say, Mint 13 LTS with Cinnamon 1.8
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mounted drives uses Nautilus not Nemo

Post by karlchen »

Hello, solar1951.

Faced a similar little inconsistencies when my Cinnamon 1.4 (Mint 13) was updated to Cinnamon 1.6.7, because
+ on Cinnamon the default filemanager was Nautilus
+ starting with Cinnamon 1.6.7 the default filemanager is Nemo.

Have a look at this post, please: [url=http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=132391&p=713267#p713267]Re: Change default file manager[/url]. There you will find the steps to make sure that Nemo handles files, folders and mounted devices as well, not just the desktop.

Note:
In that post I explain how to replace "Nemo" by "Krusader". So whereever you see "replace 'nemo' by 'krusader'", you check for "nautilus" and replace it by "nemo" (without the double quotes) instead. When you look at the 3 screenshots you will understand. :wink:

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Thanks Karl, but that post doesn't have any effect on what program handles the mounted device. Even though Nemo is set to handle files and desktop the mounted device is always opened by Nautilus.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

This suggests that in fact your desktop may not be handled by nemo, but by nautilus.
To verify whether this hypothesis is true or false:
Right after logging in, check the process list and find out whether there is a nautilus process.
Also check whether there is a nemo process.
Either use gnome-system-monitor to check the process list or these 2 commandlines:

Code: Select all

ps axu | grep nemo
ps axu | grep nautilus
Should the hypothesis be falsified then this means there must be yet another dedicated setting which determines whether mounted devices will be opened in nautilus or nemo. (Will have to check.)

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Hi Karl,
System monitor shows nemo running but not nautilus.
However the grep commands give this

Code: Select all

bill@Main ~ $ ps axu | grep nemo
bill      1579  0.5  0.5 171656 17644 ?        Sl   12:38   0:01 nemo -n
bill      2697  0.0  0.0   4388   832 pts/0    S+   12:43   0:00 grep --colour=auto nemo
bill@Main ~ $ ps axu | grep nautilus
bill      2701  0.0  0.0   4384   832 pts/0    S+   12:43   0:00 grep --colour=auto nautilus
bill@Main ~ $ 
Is the solution to remove nautilus ? Could this cause other issues with Mint 13 ?

Bill
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Nemo is a Nautilus full replacement for Cinnamon DE. You can completely purge Nautilus once Nemo is installed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, eanfrid. Hello, solar1951.

Admitted. Removing nautilus should force nemo to handle opened devices, too.
From the purely functional point of view, the issue will have been solved then.
Being a curiuous person by nature, I would still like to know where the setting may be found that tells the system to launch nautilus in order to display the content of a just mounted device? - If anyone knows, please, reveal the secret. - I will try to find out for sure ...

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Hi Karl,
I tend to agree, to find the reason is the preferred solution. Also as Mint 13 was shipped with Nautilus as standard I am not to sure that removing it may have "other effects" that are unwanted.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Nautilus is the default built-in Gnome file-manager. Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome3 and aims to fully replace it. It comes also now with Nemo which is a fork of Nautilus and aims to fully replace Nautilus. Until both of them get rid of their historical Gnome wires and ties, some internal links will default to Nautilus if present. It is like having 2 drivers in the same car, behind the same steering wheel: do you expect your car to then always run toward the right direction ? :) Cut the wires; remove Nautilus. Since Cinnamon 1.6, there is no side-effect I could point-out when doing so.

Return to “Cinnamon”