Mint 15 x64 Cinnamon 1.8.8 Memory Leak

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nimda

Mint 15 x64 Cinnamon 1.8.8 Memory Leak

Post by nimda »

Hi,
Cinnamon is leaking memory like crazy for me. I restart it, and it goes to about 175 MB of RAM (a lot?) and then as time goes on it gains memory, regardless of whether or not I'm using the computer. When I woke up it was at 580 MB, and right now it is at 285 MB and climbing. (Edit: 75 minutes later, after some light browsing, cinnamon is taking up 377 MB of RAM with 396 MB resident memory usage.)

I have 8GB of RAM, and I'm currently using 21% of it. Despite that, 5.9 MB of my swap is being utilized.

Edit2: When Cinnamon gets above 400 MB, I start getting graphics lag: even when moving the mouse around, I experience "skips" where the mouse will pause for a fraction of a second (I guess about 1/8th) before catching up to where it should be. It's not just the mouse, though; it's the screen that freezes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nimda

Re: Mint 15 x64 Cinnamon 1.8.8 Memory Leak

Post by nimda »

Bump.

I turned off all extensions, desklets, etc. It's not as crazy now, so I think it was mostly one of the extensions. However, it's at 265 MB right now, which is a lot. I think there's a smaller memory leak in Cinnamon itself.
rck2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rck2 »

I'm using cinnamon 1.8.8, on 32 x86 Nadia "14", just did and update from 1.8.2(stable) to 1.8.8 and the memory went absolutely crazy. I ctrl+atl+F1, I then skilled "mdm" the did a service mdm start from the terminal, memory usage dropped. But cinnamon is still 16% CPU when it should be >6%.
rck2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rck2 »

Greetings again, in addition to the preceeding post. I also move my old .cinnamon directory and let cinnamon rebuild a new.
nimda

Post by nimda »

Since yesterday's post, Cinnamon is still leaking very slowly, now at 307 MB.
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

mine is the same, im on cutting edge ppa's so i know im on latest. the leak is slower and it seems to stop almost altogether a 1.7gb but then again on a fresh boot its under 400mb !
rck2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rck2 »

Thought I had it solved, however cinnamon is too slow so I defaulted to gnome.
chiwalfrm

Post by chiwalfrm »

There is definitely a memory leak.
I am using Mint 15 x64 Cinnamon.
version 1.8.8.
Fresh install just yesterday.
Memory usage for the cinnamon process starts at 45mb on boot and after 12 hours has grown to 450mb.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Watch the VRAM too. It starts at around 250MB for me and after a few hours winds up at >700MB. Not good when you have a 1GB card.
nimda wrote:I have 8GB of RAM, and I'm currently using 21% of it. Despite that, 5.9 MB of my swap is being utilized.
You could look at reducing swappiness. By default it's 60 (at which you shouldn't be using swap space with only 21% usage anyway), but it's not uncommon to reduce it to 10.
mcbro

Post by mcbro »

Ive got the same problem on x64 cinnamon 1.8.8, except my cinnamon usually starts at 150 Mbytes and just keeps growing. Opening and closing a lot of windows over time will make it grow without bound. Firefox seems to make it worse. All told I start off at 500 Mbytes of memory used and it tends to quickly double and never go down shortly thereafter. I'm wondering if I should switch to mate until this is identified and resolved.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Hi,

So technically I'm not running this on Linux Mint (this is on my ArchLinux installation), but I am having the same problem with Cinnamon 1.8.8 and RAM usage going out of control. I have downgraded the "cinnamon" package to 1.8.7 on that installation and I am going to repeat the process with a fresh installation of Mint 13 Cinnamon and get 1.8 via backports and see if the issue is there as well.

I would like to point your attention to the report on Github. If more people comment there, then I hope that this issue might be addressed sooner, though I understand the developers are working pretty hard to make Cinnamon 2.0 happen.
dee.

Post by dee. »

I've also made a bug report about this on Launchpad.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1225358
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

It was aproblem for me a few weeks ago. I could easily replicate increasing memory usage. I install every update package as it is released and now it is not a major problem.
Cheers, Mike
passerby

Post by passerby »

For the past few days I've been running the nightly builds of Cinnamon, nemo, etc.
RAM rises for a while, but it seems to stop at around 500MB.
VRAM does the same, and seems to have stopped at 350MB.
I'll keep running the nightly builds for a while and see whether this behavior is the norm or I've simply been lucky.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

passerby wrote:For the past few days I've been running the nightly builds of Cinnamon, nemo, etc.
I run the nightly builds from this repo on my Linux Mint 13 installation, and I haven't noticed a crazy memory leak like in 1.8.8. That said, I need to put it through its paces first before I can say anything for sure.
dee.

Post by dee. »

I'm running a nightly build and there seems to still be occasional memory leaks, but not as severe as in 1.8.8 - still gets up to 1.5GB occasionally but not as often.
passerby

Post by passerby »

The RAM, CPU and GPU usage seem to be stable (though a bit high). Problem is, Cinnamon still runs about 10-15° celsius hotter than XFCE & MATE.

Return to “Cinnamon”