JPG Thumbnail Orientation in Nemo

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaimebravo

JPG Thumbnail Orientation in Nemo

Post by jaimebravo »

Hi All,

I am experiencing an issue with the file manager Nemo, although I believe that it may also occur in Nautilus based on the results of a previous web search (more info on that below). I am running 32-bit Linux Mint 14 Nadia with Cinnamon. Wasn't sure whether to post this here on Cinnamon board or in Software & Applications.

Description of the problem
I recently mounted my iPhone and pulled the photos off, putting them into a folder on my desktop. The problem I'm encountering is that all JPG image thumbnails are in landscape orientation. As a result, some of the photos I took in portrait orientation appear sideways--rotated 90 degrees. When I open these up in Image Viewer or gThumb, they correctly appear in portrait orientation. This appears to only be a problem with the JPG thumbnails as there are also several PNG images (iPhone screenshots) whose thumbnails are portrait orientation.

Is there any setting to change so that these landscape thumbnails appear correctly in portrait orientation? I tried clearing the ~/.thumbnails/normal directory but this didn't help. The following thread from a different forum seems to be the closest description of my problem I can find, except that as I mentioned clearing the above specified directory didn't help in my case. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/353826

(By the way, are Image Viewer and gThumb one and the same? They share the same icon but appear to be distinct choices when I view image properties and click on the Open With tab. Also, they look similar upon opening but have different settings--different window color, etc. Almost as if two copies of the same software are installed with different names.)

Thanks in advance for any insight into this apparent issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: JPG Thumbnail Orientation in Nemo

Post by mdavies5 »

I suppose you have put the files in Image Viewer and rotated them 90 degrees? GThumb and Image Viewer are from the same Gnome team with slightly different functionality. Each user can choose their own preference.
Cheers, Mike

Return to “Cinnamon”