Dual Monitor Screensaver Problems

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Dual Monitor Screensaver Problems

Postby RussellS on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi, I have just installed Mint 15 as a test system before upgrading my ageing Mint 12 installation.

I am running the Cinnamon 64bit version with dual monitors on a nVidia graphics card using the default Nouveau display driver.
My problem is when using the 'Screesaver & Lock Settings'. I have it set to turn the screen off when inactive for a set time but when that time arrives both screens dim down to black, both monitors then display the 'no signal being received' message for a few seconds and then the second monitor comes back on with the dimmed wallpaper and the clock. So I am left with the main monitor going into standby but the second monitor stays on and will not go into standby.

Am I missing something somewhere or is this a bug. Is there any other way of making both monitors go into standby.

Many thanks

Russell
RussellS
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Monitor Screensaver Problems

Postby RussellS on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:30 am

I originally thought this was a Cinnamon problem but I've just tried the Mint 15 Mate version and it has the same problem.

Could this be a problem with the Nouveau display driver. I've tried to install the propriatry nVidia driver to see if that worked any better but I have failed misserably on that score as have many others reading the forums.
RussellS
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Booster on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Same exact problem. No solution that I can find.

Also using nVidia GPU - have tried many drivers.

This doesn't happen on Mint 14.1, only on 15.

I have tried to get around this by having Mint 15 NEVER put my monitors to sleep but even if you set them to never sleep, they will. I have a thread on this (unresolved).

Mint 15, Cinnamin 1.8.8
Booster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RussellS on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:59 am

Well, I have finally managed to disable the Nouveau driver and load the propriatry nVidia driver and now both monitors go into standby correctly after the specified time.

So it would appear that this is a problem with the Nouveau display driver.
RussellS
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Cinnamon