Desktop freezes at starting cinnamon with open amd driver

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tri.Hexagon

Desktop freezes at starting cinnamon with open amd driver

Post by Tri.Hexagon »

Hi,

yesterday i installed linux mint 16 on my pc. Always at starting cinnamon freezes and i only can see a black screen with movable mouse pointer for several seconds. The same freeze appears when i start the software/update manager or driver dialog (but not synaptic), the mouse animation slows down and the xorg process is running at 100%. This is only a problem with the amd open source driver! With fglrx i don't have the problem. I think this is a cinnamon issue, because i didn't have this problem with another distro.

System Information:
Cinnamon Version: 2.0.14
Linux-Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic
Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 440
RAM: 4GiB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7750

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clfarron4

Re: Desktop freezes at starting cinnamon with open amd drive

Post by clfarron4 »

Tri.Hexagon wrote:This is only a problem with the amd open source driver! With fglrx i don't have the problem.
This doesn't surprise me considering Cinnamon is a desktop that is geared towards a 3D environment. AMD Catalyst outperforms the Radeon driver in 3D performance, but it's the other way around for 2D performance.
Tri.Hexagon

Post by Tri.Hexagon »

The strange is that the radeon driver renders cinnamon smoother than fglrx and on my old fedora installation I ran cinnamon whithout these problems (radeon driver). :?:
Messy_Lion

Post by Messy_Lion »

I am having the same issue here, I would really prefer to not use fglrx to solve this issue. It is sad though, because having my system lock up for 1-2 minutes isn't really going to work either. Any other advice would be much appreciated. Perhaps this is something that could be fixed by the wonderful Linux Mint team?

Specs:
Mint 16 Cinnamon 64bit
Cinnamon v2.0.14
3.11.0-12-generic
Intel i3 530
AMD Radeo HD 7770
4GB RAM
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

same desktop freeze then 100% CPU system locked at random intervals with Cinnamon and catalyst. I need it for steam, FOSS is close but there is a lack of a Display manager in FOSS so i cant change my desktop saturation or control vsync without.

Also FOSS is 25% slower which in perspective is a great acheivement but then catalyst is 25 - 30% slower than windows so that becomes a 50 - 55% slower game experience than windows.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Are any of you using Tear-Free (set in AMD Catalyst Control Center)? If not, try it. If you are, turn it off and see how it goes.

Return to “Cinnamon”