Disable system wallpaper so a script can set it?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lpotts

Disable system wallpaper so a script can set it?

Post by lpotts »

I'm trying using a bash script to change my wallpaper based on when day of the month it is. The script uses feh called in ./~profile and it is working fine. I can see the correct wallpaper at the beginning of the startup but it is almost immediately replaced by the wallpaper specified in the system settings. Is it possible to disable the system wallpaper so this doesn't happen?

I have Mint 16 Cinnamon.

I have tried changing "Have file manger handle the desktop" to off using Gnome Tweak Tool. Has no effect.

I tried launching the script from Startup Applications but I can't get it work from there and I'm not sure it would make any difference if I could.

Thanks,
Lee
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
computerbob

Re: Disable system wallpaper so a script can set it?

Post by computerbob »

Hi Lee, there is no system wallpaper that I am aware of.
Right after my install, I chose a new wallpaper and it stays.
I do copy my wallpaper to pictures
and then I rt click on the screen
Change desktop background.
Add
go find it in pictures
then scroll down and select it.
lpotts

Post by lpotts »

Thanks for the reply computerbob. What I'm hoping to do is replace the built in wallpaper system you described with the script that I'm trying to run on startup so the wallpaper changes on it's own rather than making me do it manually. There are programs for changing you wallpaper automatically aready out there but they all seem to pick random images. I want a specific wallpaper image depending on what day of the month it is.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

How are you setting the wallpaper through BASH, what command? I can give a look at it, but I don't know how to change the wallpaper through BASH :) (Or at least my memory on that is eluding me right now...)
lpotts

Post by lpotts »

Hi xenopeek. Thanks for helping out.

I'm using feh (http://feh.finalrewind.org/) using this command in the script: feh --bg-fill ~/IMAGE/LOCATION/IMAGE.png

I'm still working on figuring out the bit of coding that will call up the file I want for a particular day but since I'm focusing on just getting the script to run without the wallpaper I want being replaced, I have it just calling for a specific jpg.

Just to clairify, the script runs and the wallpaper file I want appears, but then as the boot up continues, Gnome (I think) replaces it with whatever is specified in the system settings.

I'm wondering if maybe there isn't an easier way to do it.

Or maybe if I could figure out how to get the script to run from Startup Applications after the boot completes.
xenopeek wrote:How are you setting the wallpaper through BASH, what command? I can give a look at it, but I don't know how to change the wallpaper through BASH :) (Or at least my memory on that is eluding me right now...)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'd indeed suggest to run the script from Startup Applications, so it runs after you log in to your account. If I set a background with feh after logging in, I've not had any other process reset the background. Opening Backgrounds from System Settings doesn't touch it unless I choose a different picture there, locking the screen, opening Nemo, nothing I could think of has side-effect of resetting the background. So set it after logging in :wink:
lpotts

Post by lpotts »

Can you give me some guidance on how to envoke the script by adding an entry to the Startup Applications dialog box?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Add a new entry, browse to the location where you have the script and select it. That's it basically :wink: Ensure the script is marked as executable.

Return to “Cinnamon”