Petra GDM Login Window Themes Bug

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gcvsa

Petra GDM Login Window Themes Bug

Post by gcvsa »

Petra 64-bit Cinnamon with all updates as at current time.

When using GDM themes in Login Window that require typing the userid (rather than selecting from a list), the login window does not display the userid field, it displays the passwd field, and the user must hit ESC or fail the first login attempt in order for the login window to revert to the userid input field.

Generic Rant of Mine

Computer systems that display a list of users from which to pick are an unacceptable security and privacy risk. No system should present any information to a user or a passerby that reveals anything about the contents of that system. I like to have additional user accounts on my machine, and access to my machine cannot be physically secured, as I live with other people. There is no reason why anyone should be able to see what accounts exist on the machine simply by powering the machine on, or if it is in sleep mode, just hitting a key on the keyboard. I have accounts on my machine that I do not wish my roommates to know even exist without going to the trouble of actually cracking my box, which they are highly unlikely to do. There is no reason at all why it should be this easy to see what accounts exist on a machine.

I don't know why everyone seems to have completely forgotten every basic idea about computer security these days, but this is ridiculously amateurish. Has everyone forgotten the concept of DEFAULT DENY, or do they just not teach that to kids anymore?!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Petra GDM Login Window Themes Bug

Post by karlchen »

Hello, gcvsa.

A lot of users will appreciate convenience much more than security. This is why the logon screens exist which present userlists like Windows does. Users asked for them.
If you use a theme that does not present a userlist where you click and select an account and only enter the password, you should make sure that the option [_] Automatically select the last logged in user has been switched off. Another convenience setting.
Launch Cinnamon Settings => Login Screen. Click on the tab "Options" and disable the named setting.
Starting with the next logon you should be forced to type the username first, press enter, type the password, press enter again.

My personal point of view on your question / complaint
I don't know why everyone seems to have completely forgotten every basic idea about computer security these days [...]
Most users today have not forgotten about computer security, they have never been aware computer security is an issue. And if it is then it does certainly not affect their own systems, does it? - This attitude is not really amazing, after all the vast majority of computer users today are no computer experts, they use their computers like you use your TV, and you are not concerned about security when switching on your TV, are you.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
gcvsa

Post by gcvsa »

So, not a bug, but expected behavior! Good to know, because this is a change from the last two versions, and was entirely unexpected. Thank you for at least putting in the ability to turn it off, but I still suggest that giving people what they ask for isn't always the best policy.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Well, gcvsa, I think the changed MDM greeter screen is an example of How does Linux Mint listen to it's users?
One man's meat is another man's poison.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Cinnamon”