Suggestion for future release...

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

Suggestion for future release...

Postby baldrick.777 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:29 pm

http://worldofgnome.org/ubuntu-gnome-re ... mon-sense/

The last part, where one can choose to either have a window menu as it is currently, or choose to hide the window menu until it's hovered over.

Most times, for me, I don't need to see a window menu at all, it's unnecessary clutter. So not seeing it is a definate bonus, but knowing I could reveal it in an active window when I do need it - just by hovering over it? Genius!

Naturally, the default setting would have to remain as it is, so as not to confuse new users to Linux, but the hover version could easily be enabled under 'Windows' settings.

What do you think? :mrgreen:
Image Windows free since '09 - with no regrets! | Newbies, check this out first...
baldrick.777
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Suggestion for future release...

Postby administrollaattori on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:19 pm

baldrick.777 wrote:What do you think? :mrgreen:

I want to go back in the time when desktops were working .. :lol:
Unity and Gnome 3 makes me sic .. :(
administrollaattori
Level 6
Level 6

Postby baldrick.777 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:52 pm

administrollaattori wrote:
baldrick.777 wrote:What do you think? :mrgreen:

I want to go back in the time when desktops were working .. :lol:
Unity and Gnome 3 makes me sic .. :(

I know what you mean. The most glaring example to me is Windows. XP was definately the best and gotten progressively worse from there.

There are some things that I love about Gnome3, that are definate improvements over gnome2. But I would have to agree with your comments regarding Unity. Not a Unity hater, I used it for a long time before discovering Gnome-Shell and more recently Cinnamon.
Image Windows free since '09 - with no regrets! | Newbies, check this out first...
baldrick.777
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killer de bug on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:32 am

Gnome 3 is a total mess.
This post from Monsta is a perfect explanation of the situation:

Monsta wrote:This issue with the incompatible extension proves that Gnome Shell, after 3 years since its inception, still has the quality of an amateur's hack.

• They still change the internals as they want, making the extensions break with a new Gnome Shell version.
  • The whole extension mechanism is still totally insecure. One flawed extension may break the whole shell. And no malicious actions need to be performed: the author of the extension just needs to sit back and do nothing for about a year, never adjusting his code for the new versions of Gnome Shell.
  • The breakage is triggered by seemingly unrelated actions like launching gedit or libreoffice. Could you guess that it can trigger the bug in an extension that just adds some configuration settings to the menu on the panel?
  • The error message doesn't give any hints about what's broken, not even about which extension caused the issue. Without searching through the logs, it's impossible to say what went wrong and how to fix it.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas