Changing menu icons does not always work.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Changing menu icons does not always work.

Post by mdavies5 »

Using Mint16 Cinnamon and tried using Cinnamon Menu Editor and Alacarte. Both editors behave the same except when you go into "Launcher Properties". Alacarte will allow you to click on the "Forbidden" icon (Red Cross on Black background) and select an icon. The Cinnamon Editor does nothing in these circumstances and I have reported this in GitHub.
I have one application where the icon is specified in the .desktop file and is displayed in Nemo next to the .desktop file. In the menu editor this icon can also be selected and shows in the "Properties" window. When you close this window and return to the Main Menu Editor the icon is not displayed and is not displayed in the Main Menu itself. If you click on "Properties" again the icon is replaced with a "Forbidden" icon. This happens regardless of which icon I choose.
I have checked permissions on the icon files and on the .desktop files and they are all ok. I note when you change an icon it does not affect the .desktop file so where is this information kept? Can it be changed manually?
I have just fixed the problem by deleting the menu item and recreating it but it would still be nice to get the answers to my questions for future use.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cheers, Mike
jahid

Re: Changing menu icons does not always work.

Post by jahid »

it can be done manually with just a text editor.
find the launcher of your app in /usr/share/applications, open it with a text editor with root privilage.
find the line which starts with "Icon=" or if there is no line starting with Icon then add a line:
Icon=desired_icon_path.
save & close the file. if the icon path is correct then you will see the new icon in your app.

Return to “Cinnamon”