menu editing problem

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aliab

menu editing problem

Post by aliab »

hi,
im new to linux, i installed mint 16 with cinnamon desktop,
my problem is about editing menu, when i add item to it, nothing happen! i run the menu editor with terminal to see the problems, but, there isn't any error in the terminal at the time i do item adding,
so, is there any body here know what is my problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: menu editing problem

Post by austin.texas »

Right-click on the Menu
choose Configure
click Open the Menu Editor
click on the Category that you want, on the left side
click on empty space or any program on the right side
click New Item
enter your command and info, save, and exit
Last edited by austin.texas on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

aliab wrote:hi,
im new to linux, i installed mint 16 with cinnamon desktop,
my problem is about editing menu, when i add item to it, nothing happen! i run the menu editor with terminal to see the problems, but, there isn't any error in the terminal at the time i do item adding,
so, is there any body here know what is my problem?
Did you restart Cinnamon? Right click the panel and click 'Troubleshoot.' Hope this helps.
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

I confirm this issue (/bug?) even with the latest nightly build. The only way I can add/edit/delete items to/from the menu is manually in /usr/share/applications.

In the "usual" way (right-click on the menu icon, select "Configure..." then "Open the menu editor") nothing happens, and starting from terminal ("cinnamon-menu-editor &") and then trying to add or edit a menu item results in...
(cinnamon-desktop-editor.py:2802): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to connect to ibus: Could not connect: Connection refused
Either way, no changes happen to the menu, even after restarting Cinnamon or rebooting.

This happens with Cinnamon installed on Ubuntu 13.10 and on an up-to-date 14.04 beta. Basically, I've got six 'puters with either 13.10 or 14.04 on 'em and have the same problem with all.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

Co6aka wrote:I confirm this issue (/bug?) even with the latest nightly build. The only way I can add/edit/delete items to/from the menu is manually in /usr/share/applications.

In the "usual" way (right-click on the menu icon, select "Configure..." then "Open the menu editor") nothing happens, and starting from terminal ("cinnamon-menu-editor &") and then trying to add or edit a menu item results in...
(cinnamon-desktop-editor.py:2802): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to connect to ibus: Could not connect: Connection refused
Either way, no changes happen to the menu, even after restarting Cinnamon or rebooting.

This happens with Cinnamon installed on Ubuntu 13.10 and on an up-to-date 14.04 beta. Basically, I've got six 'puters with either 13.10 or 14.04 on 'em and have the same problem with all.
How can you confirm this? You state that you have 'Cinnamon installed on Ubuntu 13.10 and on an up-to-date 14.04 beta.' You aren't even using Linux Mint. You are using Ubuntu with Cinnamon installed (by you). Your problem is with Ubuntu because I do not have this problem. I have added Minecraft and other programs successfully. Even removed programs fine. I usually have to do a 'restart Cinnamon' and the Main Menu is up to date. Hope this helps!
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

twodogs wrote:[...mindless drivel clipped for brevity...] Hope this helps!
:lol: Typical noob-response.

Since Cinnamon is a desktop environment, maybe Clem or one of the other Cinnamon devs has some insight, or at least something intelligent to add.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

Co6aka wrote:
twodogs wrote:[...mindless drivel clipped for brevity...] Hope this helps!
:lol: Typical noob-response.

Since Cinnamon is a desktop environment, maybe Clem or one of the other Cinnamon devs has some insight, or at least something intelligent to add.
Good luck.
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

twodogs wrote:Good luck.
The "Linux Mint Motto" apparently; nice advertizement! :wink: Brilliant! I'll be sure to pass along your sentiment, and how I'm now so thrilled with the Mint community :roll: I'm gonna have to zoom right out and buy a truckload of Amway products! Yeah, I'll be sure to switch over to Mint now, yessiree!

For anyone who actually cares about anything but themselves around here... The following gets added to auth.log upon an attempt to add a menu item via the "usual" way:

Code: Select all

Mar 27 14:30:34 SOBAKA1 dbus[814]: [system] Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.75" (uid=1000 pid=2226 comm="/usr/bin/python /usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/cinnamo") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.29" (uid=0 pid=1534 comm="/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon --no-daemon ")
Meanwhile, this non-Mint-using-worthless-lowlife-trash-Ubuntu-user (i.e. "me") will be searching around to solve this Cinnamon issue, an issue that a Mint-user (i.e. "the O.P.") first reported. And if the responses so far received in this thread/forum are the rule here, I'll certainly be needing lots of "Good luck."
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

For anyone having this problem, it's a bug in Alacarte, which "cinnamon-menu-editor" is based on:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1244087

An alternative/workaround is to use MenuLibre:

http://smdavis.us/projects/menulibre/

Return to “Cinnamon”