Cinnamon panel disappears, Mint 16 64-bit

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stophers

Cinnamon panel disappears, Mint 16 64-bit

Post by stophers »

I'm also having a frustrating issue with Mint 16 Petra on a 64bit machine. Until recently, all was working wonderfully. Not so much today. My cinnamon panels on the top and bottom of my screen have completely disappeared, and my desktop background has changed to black. I am able to see my mouse and my desktop icons, but that's it. Moving my mouse to the top/ bottom of the screen does not activate a hidden panel, and right clicking in those areas gives me the same options as if I had clicked in the center of the screen. If I open firefox in terminal, the top menu (File, Edit, View, History…. ) is unresponsive, nor do any open windows have the close, minimize, maximize buttons I usually would see.

I ran cinnamon --replace in terminal as was suggested by linenoise, and while terminal was running this seemed to have fixed my issue. But as soon as I close terminal everything disappears and seems to return to its 'empty/ invisible' state. Additionally, after running cinnamon --replace, I lost my ability to open terminal using ctrl+alt+t. (Restarting fixes that issue.)

Finally, I have 2 users running Mint. One user has this issue, the other user does not. I have a hunch that I have accidently somehow set everything to invisible, but as I am very new to Linux, really have no clue what happened or how to restore/ reset it. I'm going to keep browsing the web, but would appreciate any advice anyone might have before I try reinstalling. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cinnamon panel disappears, Mint 16 64-bit

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Not an LMDE issue. Split and moved to Main Edition Support ‹ Desktops & Window Managers ‹ Cinnamon
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Cinnamon”