Cinnamon 16 panel settings impossible [SOLVED}

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ronkz

Cinnamon 16 panel settings impossible [SOLVED}

Post by ronkz »

I have spend many hours on "Settings" and find nothing which will make the Cinnamon 16 panel acceptable.

For one thing, I strongly prefer my panel on the left, but it's not even available as it was in Mate13 and Mate 15.

But even worse, the applet for hide/restore desktop failed, and worse still, minimizing running apps doesn't work to show live "reopen" icon on the panel. Some applets do show icons but they're just a darn picture, not live, and so do nothing worthwhile, merely a clutter on the panel.

I've even tried downloading/installing other applets and can find nothing that works to accomplish anything in these regards.

Unless some brilliant responder can show the way around this nonsense, I suppose I'll just go through the horror of installing Mate and once again losing most everything I've done here. It's such a drag. But WinXP support ends today, and the setup I'm running has corrupted and can't load, so it's a pickle indeed. So please HELP!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rufus_overhead

Re: Cinnamon 16 panel settings impossible

Post by rufus_overhead »

I feel your frustration. You state that your XP install is non-functioning and your Cinnamon desktop is misbehaving. Are you certain you don't have an underlying hardware problem? You may want to first focus on getting a stable installation. I suspect that you're a capable user and that you've already backed up your personal files to external media. If you're experiencing system instability, it would be best if you post your system hardware specs and a brief description of how you installed your current Mint installation. Is your current installation a clean install of Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon? Was the initial installation of Mint working fine?

You have experience with earlier versions of Mate. Perhaps that is your best choice. Just curious, why did you switch to the Cinnamon desktop?

You can somewhat emulate a side panel in Cinnamon by installing the CinnaDock Plus desktop extension http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/extensions/view/23. Configure the Cinnamon panel to auto-hide if you want it out of the way. You can add applications to CinnaDock by right clicking an application in the MintMenu and selecting "Add to Favorites".

Good Luck.
ronkz

Re: Cinnamon 16 panel settings impossible [SOLVED}

Post by ronkz »

After all this time, I finally gave up and then appeared a something somewhere to "Reset to Default", clicked it, rebooted and now the panel works as expected. Minimized links appear and they work now.

But still no option for putting the panel on the left!

Return to “Cinnamon”