Window manager broken? Help needed!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FrankDeRyder

Window manager broken? Help needed!

Post by FrankDeRyder »

Hi all,

New to the forum, unfortunately my first post is a cry for help.

So the other day I was using my Linux Mint install as normal, during that period I updated my packages as per normal.

Today the first time I have used the system since the update my window manager appears completely broken.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb5sofs8ios3h ... 3.21-2.jpg

Sorry for the camera photo, I can't work out how to take a screen shot as the screenshot application window will not display and I can't view the contents of folders any way! :roll:

This is Linux Mint 17 btw...

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any pointers in how I can fix it? I've tried a reinstall of Cinnamon but that didn't make any difference. This happens whether I start a desktop session as myself or the root user...

Any help would be appreciated :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Window manager broken? Help needed!

Post by austin.texas »

You can install Mint 17 again to the same partitions, without formatting the partitions (that preserves your settings).
Then you can install updates carefully to try to identify the one which caused the problem.
Here is the list of the most recent updates in Mint 17 Cinnamon.
(You may not have Google Chrome)
Screenshot from 2014-06-14.png
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
FrankDeRyder

Post by FrankDeRyder »

Hi Austin,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll take a more detailed look at that list when I have time this weekend.

Cheers! :)
FrankDeRyder

Post by FrankDeRyder »

Just thought I'd post to say I fixed my issue.

I ended up performing a re-installation of Linux Mint 17 and started re-installing all of my apps.

I installed my Steam game client which then asked for various Mesa and GL based packages to be installed, once complete I rebooted and the same issue occurred :twisted:

So I re-installed my AMD GFX Driver, hey presto after a reboot the issue was resolved.

When the issue first appeared I don't remember having to update anything Mesa or GL based and my Steam install had been fine for weeks. It's hard to remember exactly which packages were installed or upgraded automatically.

Bit ****** off that I've had to nuke a perfectly working system that would have been fixed through a driver re-install...well you live and learn.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Cinnamon”