The Dreadful Enemy: Tearing!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HikariNoSenshi

The Dreadful Enemy: Tearing!

Post by HikariNoSenshi »

Guys, I've wasted the entire day yesterday and today trying to fix this and I really have no idea what to do any more. I'm new to Linux so it just makes things worse.

I own an MSI CX61 laptop which has an i5 Ivy Bridge and a GeForce 645M. The tearing has been happening doesn't matter what I do, what drivers I'm using, or how many times I clean install it. I have attemped pasting the following lines under /etc/environment but to no avail:

CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True

Does anyone know how to fix this? To me, this is the best distro I've tested by far and I really, really don't want to move away from it... but this is a deal breaker. I can't even watch YouTube properly like this. :/

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
amintuser

Re: The Dreadful Enemy: Tearing!

Post by amintuser »

Mint 13 Cinnamon . Desktop with Nvidia 650ti + proprietary 331.20 driver.
old trick with adding to etc/environment doesn't work anymore.
So I have the same tearing issue. And found no answers on that.
HikariNoSenshi

Post by HikariNoSenshi »

OMG. Now I'm even more worried... Is there a way to contact the dev team directly and ask the same thing? Or is this a known issue that is being worked on?
HikariNoSenshi

Post by HikariNoSenshi »

Maybe I should have mentioned that even using Intel's integrated graphics, HD 4000, the tearing is still there.
CoolBeans

Post by CoolBeans »

Apparently this is an issue with Cinnamon 2.x.

Your only viable solutions at this point are either downgrading to Mint Cinnamon 15 or using an entirely different desktop environment (like MATE or Xfce) with Compton running as the default window manager. The latter solution cannot be applied to Cinnamon since its included window manager is “tied in” to the desktop (i.e., it cannot be replaced without having to remove Cinnamon altogether).
amintuser

Post by amintuser »

CoolBeans wrote:Apparently this is an issue with Cinnamon 2.x.
+1

:( Thus I had to downgrade back to Cinnamon 1.x in my Mint13. Now /etc/environment trick works
Binky

Post by Binky »

Mint 17
Cinnamon 2.2
Nvidia GeForce GT 525M

I get pretty bad tearing with Nvidia's driver, but I'm not getting any tearing with Nouveau.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

please post the outcome of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
CoolBeans

Post by CoolBeans »

Turns out that the tearing is actually associated with Cinnamon 2.x’s “unredirect fullscreen” enabled by default, which to my knowledge isn’t toggleable anywhere in the system settings.

Fortunately I’ve (rather someone else who didn’t get the recognition he/she deserved) found an odd workaround that involves issuing a command to the in-built console – downside is that it requires entering it after every Cinnamon restart.

More:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=155365

Hope this helps!

P.S. I’m back on Mint Cinnamon 17, thanks to B1-66ERDK! :D

Return to “Cinnamon”