Uncontrolled mouse behaviour [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CaptainofSpray

Uncontrolled mouse behaviour [SOLVED]

Post by CaptainofSpray »

Mint 17 Cinnamon 32-bit on a desktop built for XP, nVidia GPU so the nVidia driver, 4 GB of RAM

I know (mostly) what I'm doing, so I move my mouse fairly quickly. About half the time, control of the mouse is taken away from me, and the cursor flies around the screen, often clicking even though I have NOT clicked the real mouse. Naturally this usually causes chaos, and I daren't write any important code until I can be sure my program won't get saved with bodge nonsense in it. I let go of the mouse and wait - after a few seconds, the cursor settles at the top right hand corner of the screen and I can go back to work.

In an attempt to bypass this, I have turned Expo off, screen effects off, mouse acceleration and sensitivity to zero (and tried full then zero). No change in the behaviour.

This behaviour also occurred in Mint 13 Cinnamon and was not changed by a fresh install of 17 (though I kept the same /home). Is there a way to delete any and all cinnamon-settings and effectively do a "factory reset" of Cinnamon? Starting a fresh login session does not change the behaviour. And maybe this isn't Cinnamon at all?

Unless I get this sorted soon, I will dump Cinnamon and use XFCE instead - which would be a shame, as Cinnamon looks so much better (and better utilities IMHO).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ofb

Re: Uncontrolled mouse behaviour

Post by ofb »

Oh, this one. It drove me mad too.

It's the USB mouse cable. One or more of the wires is broken, but still touching a bit. Usually near the mouse end.

When the problem occurs, run this code in terminal:
dmesg | grep -i usb

If it's what I say it is then you'll see a whole slew of fresh entries from the connection being broken and resumed.
CaptainofSpray

Re: Uncontrolled mouse behaviour [SOLVED]

Post by CaptainofSpray »

Thank you, Ofb!. I saw messages of the kind you describe. I dug into the junk drawer, found a mouse that has never been used, swapped them over, and there has been no repeat of the problem.

On looking at the bad mouse, I realised that it is 11 years old. So I may award it a Long Service Medal, and bury it at the bottom of the garden with full computational honours.
ofb

Re: Uncontrolled mouse behaviour [SOLVED]

Post by ofb »

Great.

Mere advice: If it's a good mouse like Logitech optical, you can't get them any more. I'd label and toss it in the drawer. Sometime you'll have a good cord on an otherwise broken mouse to trade, or you might decide to shorten that one by about 6" at the mouse end. That's usually where the break happens.

Return to “Cinnamon”