"Software Rendering Mode"?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
decadence18

"Software Rendering Mode"?

Post by decadence18 »

After a messed up line in the terminal I deleted the /tmp directory. It wouldn't let me log in so I had to delete the .Xauthority file, the /.cache/dconf directory, and change the permissions on the /tmp directory. Now when I log in (LM17 Cinnamon) it displays a notification saying "Cinnamon running in software rendering mode". Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm using Linux Mint 17 x64 Cinnamon. If anyone needs any other information on my system please ask.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: "Software Rendering Mode"?

Post by austin.texas »

I don't know the "proper" way to fix the various things you have done, but I believe you can correct everything fairly easily by re-installing LM17 to the same partitions WITHOUT FORMATTING the partitions. That should re-configure what needs to be fixed, and still preserve your personal config (except maybe your ppa's, if you have any.)
Run the command:

Code: Select all

inxi -r >> ~/softwaresources.txt
before re-installing, and you will have a text file listing your ppa's to refer to, so that you can re-create them, if necessary.

Were you using a special graphics driver, or just the default?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: "Software Rendering Mode"?

Post by JeremyB »

In addition to austin.texas' idea see what this command brings up

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep fail

Return to “Cinnamon”