And When I Woke Up, My Icons Were Gone!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dsbw

And When I Woke Up, My Icons Were Gone!

Post by dsbw »

"I had a dream I was eating a giant marshmallow!"
"What's wrong with that?"
"When I woke up, my pillow was gone!"

OK, I wasn't dreaming, but I was changing my video drivers to the NVidia ones. (The standard ones wouldn't recognize my 4th monitor.)

After some futzing, I got it to work, yay, but all my icons are gone. Where did they go? Do they miss me? Can I get them back?

:?:

Thanks for any tips!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: And When I Woke Up, My Icons Were Gone!

Post by Pierre »

your running multi monitors ..
so - they are probably 'off screen' somewhere ..

try reducing the screen resolution, initially,
& see if they are near the top / side of the reduced screen.

if so - move them to somewhere more central, then change the resolution back again.
do this on all the monitors, if you can.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
dsbw

Post by dsbw »

Thanks for the feedback.

But they reappeared as mysteriously as they disappeared. And they came and went for a bit but now they seem to be back. :?: :?: :?: :?:
dhimes

Post by dhimes »

I've had this problem too- to bring them back, just open a directory as a folder (e.g., click on 'Home' on your desktop).
dsbw

Post by dsbw »

Cool, thanks!
dsbw

Post by dsbw »

This seems to be related...but now, when I click-and-drag on a folder in Nemo (or desktop icon), it crashes—shuts down all open Nemo folders and eats my icons—though everything comes back when I open a new folder in Nemo. :?:
dsbw

Post by dsbw »

OK, ultimately, I think the problem was that I was using the latest NVidia driver (.60) and it was causing other problems as well. Ultimately including Cinnamon crashing.

When I went to upgrade to .76, I instead rolled back to the supported diver (.40) and now all is well.

Return to “Cinnamon”