[SOLVED] Fatal error when trying to run mPlayer

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martienne

[SOLVED] Fatal error when trying to run mPlayer

Post by martienne »

I just installed mPlayer but when I try to run it, I get this error message below. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
helloimustbegoing

Re: Fatal error when trying to run mPlayer

Post by helloimustbegoing »

It looks like you installed Mplayer-gui, not just "Mplayer." I had this same problem here back in July. This error has been around for years, so I assume Mplayer-gui is no longer being developed. Try SMplayer instead, or gnome-mplayer.
martienne

Re: Fatal error when trying to run mPlayer

Post by martienne »

helloimustbegoing wrote:It looks like you installed Mplayer-gui, not just "Mplayer." I had this same problem here back in July. This error has been around for years, so I assume Mplayer-gui is no longer being developed. Try SMplayer instead, or gnome-mplayer.

Thanks for informative response. That might be it. I didn't realise but I remember that there were several versions to choose from. Perhaps I tried the wrong one.

How do I uninstall it?

I'll try your suggestion.

Edit: Installed SM Player and I think that helloimustbegoing's suggested reason for the crash of mPlayer is probably correct.
helloimustbegoing

Re: [SOLVED] Fatal error when trying to run mPlayer

Post by helloimustbegoing »

So did you get Mplayer-gui uninstalled? Just go back into Software Manager, search for Mplayer-gui, and there should be an uninstall button right where there was the Install button when you installed it.

I wish broken apps were removed from the repositories.
martienne

Re: [SOLVED] Fatal error when trying to run mPlayer

Post by martienne »

helloimustbegoing wrote:So did you get Mplayer-gui uninstalled? Just go back into Software Manager, search for Mplayer-gui, and there should be an uninstall button right where there was the Install button when you installed it.

I wish broken apps were removed from the repositories.
Oh yes, I googled it and realised how simple it is to uninstall.
And installed SMPlayer. So busy with customising and doing stuff around the house, that I haven't had time to test it yet though.

Return to “Cinnamon”