How to change Cinnamon window theme

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

How to change Cinnamon window theme

Postby vistad on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:56 am

Old window themes seem to be not working in Cinnamon DE. I have whole lot of them and changing them makes no difference. I'd like to change title bar color a little to be able to distinguish between the title bar and the menu bar. How to change Cinnamon window theme or how to change the title bar color? It's difficult when everything is white and I can't distinguish between the title bar and the menu bar.
LM17 32 Mate Intel Core2Duo CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz, P5B-MX/WIFI-AP, 2.0 GiB RAM, 500 MiB Swap, 1Tb SATA Ext4, Bluetooth Level One MDU-0025USB
vistad
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to change Cinnamon window theme

Postby Dakiraun on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 am

Agreed - this is a problem for me as well. I updated a work system and my home system (both on Mint 12) to Cinnamon yesterday and cannot seem to change the Windows borders from anything but the default Adwaita theme. GTK+ and other changes work fine. Is there a bug here?
Dakiraun
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dakiraun on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Small update - I have installed the Daniel4lm themes, thinking that perhaps Cinnamon requires a custom theme to change the Window borders, but it still will not show anything but the Adwaita one. Has anyone successfully changed their window borders/themes under Cinnamon? If so, how?
Dakiraun
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kangdede on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:42 pm

My way is not simple but temporary can use if you want to change windows theme in cinnamon.
I just remove directory /usr/share/theme/adwaita and change this directory with other theme directory, and then rename that theme directory with adwaita. So it's not simple because every change theme we must do it again.. :roll: :roll: for other theme : gtk+, icon, font etc still can do from gnome shell tweak. There are more simple?
kangdede
Level 1
Level 1

Postby minus_x on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Try this:

Menu > System Tools > Configuration Editor (there are two on my system; choose the one with the wrench icon)

In the side panel, choose desktop > cinnamon > windows

I've noticed that the icons change when you alter the "theme" field, but not the colors. Please post here if you figure out the latter part.
minus_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bimsebasse on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:11 pm

See 5h in this thread
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Dakiraun on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 am

bimsebasse wrote:See 5h in this thread

Yep, that definitely works. One note to add - you might have to install the gconf-editor; the only one that I had installed was the mate-editor, which is a throwback to the Gnome 2 editor. So for those unsure of where to get it, just type this in a terminal:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gconf-editor

And that will put the correct editor on if it isn't already.

It's still a bit of a clunky solution to theme switching, but probably only temporary since Cinnamon's still such a new project. Thanks all.
Dakiraun
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bimsebasse on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:37 am

Ah, can anyone confirm that gconf-editor isn't installed by default in Mint 12? I can't remember what I added and what was already there :D
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Daniel4lm on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:11 pm

bimsebasse wrote:Ah, can anyone confirm that gconf-editor isn't installed by default in Mint 12? I can't remember what I added and what was already there :D

No, gconf-editor is not installed by default in the LM12(but mate conf tool is present). :D
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Postby bimsebasse on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks!

Daniel4lm wrote:(but mate conf tool is present). :D

:D very handy tool in that, and the icon is great too
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Occam on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:48 pm

You can make the window theme update by selecting the new theme, then pressing Alt+F2, typing in "r" (without quotes) and pressing enter. It reloads with the new settings.
Occam
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Cinnamon