Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 16)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cwwgateway

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Jan 26)

Post by cwwgateway »

bimsebasse wrote:^^ Didn't think too much about it before but Advanced Settings sure has a nicer layout than Cinnamon Settings. A merge suggestion between the two settings tools has been approved on github, I hope the merge means that Advanced Settings absorbs Cinnamon Settings and not the other way round :)
Thinking about it I agree. As many more options get added the bar down the side of Advanced Settings, things will look and be functional and normal. With Cinnamon Settings, The top bar-thing were you select the category will fill up much to quickly.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Jan 28)

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok I ported the gnome-shell-extended-places-menu.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cinnamon-extensions-extended-places-menu
Logout of Cinnamon and back in to enable.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

This is my 3rd attempt to get an answer on this. Jan. 28. I would appreciate some kind of answer so I can consider my problems as SOLVED. I followed your instructions below and here are my results:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 0AAFAD78

The second error is because I forgot a part of the command.

sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-extensions-auto-move-windows cinnamon-extensions-dock cinnamon-extensions-drive-menu cinnamon-extensions-places-menu cinnamon-extensions-trash cinnamon-extensions-windows-navigator cinnamon-extensions-xrandr-indicator cinnamon-extension-weather

OK, that worked and the extensions are now under Extensions in Cinnamon Settings. However, Cinnamon and sub-directories aren't showing up in the Configuration Editor like those in one of your original postings:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6650 ... 364b_b.jpg

Am I still missing something here? Please respond. Thanks.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

rbeltz48 wrote:This is my 3rd attempt to get an answer on this. Jan. 28. I would appreciate some kind of answer so I can consider my problems as SOLVED. I followed your instructions below and here are my results:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 0AAFAD78

The second error is because I forgot a part of the command.

sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-extensions-auto-move-windows cinnamon-extensions-dock cinnamon-extensions-drive-menu cinnamon-extensions-places-menu cinnamon-extensions-trash cinnamon-extensions-windows-navigator cinnamon-extensions-xrandr-indicator cinnamon-extension-weather

OK, that worked and the extensions are now under Extensions in Cinnamon Settings. However, Cinnamon and sub-directories aren't showing up in the Configuration Editor like those in one of your original postings:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6650 ... 364b_b.jpg

Am I still missing something here? Please respond. Thanks.
Do you have 'dconf-tools' installed? The Configuration Editor you see in the image is the 'Dconf editor' which isn't installed by default although it should be in my opinion. If the extensions installed properly and they're actually working then they'll be listed in the Dconf editor under 'Org/Cinnamon'. Unfortunately, that's a problem with Linux Mint 12 as it currently stands--too many Configuration editors. And once you install 'dconf-tools' they'll be 3 of them. Two, both named 'Configuration editor' and one named 'Dconf editor'. One applies to the MATE DE only (icon has car with hood up), the other pertains partially to Gnome 3/gnome-shell but also includes the Cinnamon 'window decoration' options, then the 'Dconf-editor' which applies to the rest of Gnome 3/gnome-shell as well as the majority of Cinnamon options. No wonder users get confused. :D Hope this helps some.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

is this what you are talking about kmb? :mrgreen: :lol:

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:is this what you are talking about kmb? :mrgreen: :lol:

Uh...yeah. That's what I'm talking about. You just had to load them all up didn't you? Thanks! Proved my point and all that. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: actually that's an old picture http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p533082 you just happened to talk about the same subject 8)
but on-topic and in a more serious note, you are absolutely right, it's confusing as it is
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Jan 29)

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ported the gnome-shell-system-monitor to Cinnamon.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon-extensions-system-monitor
Logout of Cinnamon and back in to enable.
bu99zy

Post by bu99zy »

merlwiz79 wrote:Ported the gnome-shell-system-monitor to Cinnamon.
Thanks so much for porting these Merlwiz :D
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

yeah thanks for porting these
may i request gpaste?
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

kmb42vt wrote:
rbeltz48 wrote:This is my 3rd attempt to get an answer on this. Jan. 28. I would appreciate some kind of answer so I can consider my problems as SOLVED.

Do you have 'dconf-tools' installed? The Configuration Editor you see in the image is the 'Dconf editor' which isn't installed by default although it should be in my opinion. If the extensions installed properly and they're actually working then they'll be listed in the Dconf editor under 'Org/Cinnamon'. Unfortunately, that's a problem with Linux Mint 12 as it currently stands--too many Configuration editors. And once you install 'dconf-tools' they'll be 3 of them. Two, both named 'Configuration editor' and one named 'Dconf editor'. One applies to the MATE DE only (icon has car with hood up), the other pertains partially to Gnome 3/gnome-shell but also includes the Cinnamon 'window decoration' options, then the 'Dconf-editor' which applies to the rest of Gnome 3/gnome-shell as well as the majority of Cinnamon options. No wonder users get confused. :D Hope this helps some.
Thanks for your help. Dconf-tools was NOT installed. I did install it and now the Dconf Editor shows up with Org/Cinnamon directories. Now if you want to change anything in the configuration, there doesn't seem to be a place to click on at the bottom such as 'OK' to change anything such as adding Seconds to the time format. Only 'Set to Default' seems to be there. Can any of these settings be changed and if so, then how do you do it?

Yes, all of this is very confusing. You might as well say that Cinnamon and Mate are both in the alpha stage at this point. After using Ubuntu 10.10 which worked perfectly out of the box on my IBM Thinkpads, this is certainly a change. I really hope that all of this will be sorted out and working well in Mint 13. Thanks.
crzen

Post by crzen »

Im not sure what you are trying to change, but most can be done in cinnamon-settings. For the seconds in the clock,add "%s", maybe this thread will help:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p533211

For dconf you make the change and then hit enter. With some settings you have to make your change, hit enter (depending on what it is you are changing), then restart cinnamon by doing a alt+f2, then type "r", and then enter. worst case you may need to logout and then back in.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

rbeltz48 wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:
rbeltz48 wrote:This is my 3rd attempt to get an answer on this. Jan. 28. I would appreciate some kind of answer so I can consider my problems as SOLVED.

Thanks for your help. Dconf-tools was NOT installed. I did install it and now the Dconf Editor shows up with Org/Cinnamon directories. Now if you want to change anything in the configuration, there doesn't seem to be a place to click on at the bottom such as 'OK' to change anything such as adding Seconds to the time format. Only 'Set to Default' seems to be there. Can any of these settings be changed and if so, then how do you do it?

Yes, all of this is very confusing. You might as well say that Cinnamon and Mate are both in the alpha stage at this point. After using Ubuntu 10.10 which worked perfectly out of the box on my IBM Thinkpads, this is certainly a change. I really hope that all of this will be sorted out and working well in Mint 13. Thanks.
I think all you have to do is hit enter and then you might have to (depending on what you change) reload gnome shell (press alt+f2 and type "r" and hit enter). I agree that MATE still needs a lot of work. Gnome shell also has a lot of problems. But Cinnamon (disregarding the problems inherent in gnome) is very stable. But I agree that it does need a little bit of work on the feature side. It is getting a lot of functionality (and it will be getting a lot more), but the way to access that functionality needs to be simpler.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I appreciate everyone's help and comments. I look forward to being able to add any of the items to the panel that I can in GNOME Classic. I really do miss not having the Weather Report in Cinnamon yet. But it is available for now in GNOME Classic.

Clem and his team are to be commended for making this a community-driven distro as opposed to the way many other distros are handled. He has definitely made many friends in the field as a result of his "can do" and cooperative attitude. The way things are going, Mint 13 should be a very polished distro when it is finally released!
unixsurfer

Post by unixsurfer »

I am using the latest Cinnamon and the extensions mentioned in this thread.
When I go to overiew (either by ctrl-alt-up arrow or move the mouse top left corner) I don't see the workspaces. When I login to a GNOME session I do see them.
what do I have to do in order to enable this?
Furtheremore , can I have some info on how I can use the places-menu and windowsnavigator extentions?

thanks
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 03)

Post by merlwiz79 »

I just patched cinnamon-settings to include font, windows, desktop and other theme settings.
I also patched cinnamon-settings so it doesn't crash when Applets don't have an icon.
unixsurfer wrote:Furtheremore , can I have some info on how I can use the places-menu and windowsnavigator extentions?
Open Cinnamon Settings and scroll to Extensions to enable them.
unixsurfer

Post by unixsurfer »

merlwiz79 wrote:I just patched cinnamon-settings to include font, windows, desktop and other theme settings.
I also patched cinnamon-settings so it doesn't crash when Applets don't have an icon.
unixsurfer wrote:Furtheremore , can I have some info on how I can use the places-menu and windowsnavigator extentions?
Open Cinnamon Settings and scroll to Extensions to enable them.
I did some googling about and basically i need to press alt while I am at overlay mode.
When do you expect to have the workspace navigator? I guess because this is missing from cinnamon I don't see the workspaces in overlay mode, right?

thanks for your hard work.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 04)

Post by merlwiz79 »

lurkatron wrote:yeah thanks for porting these
may i request gpaste?
Added cinnamon-extensions-gpaste 2.5.0.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon-extensions-gpaste
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

unixsurfer wrote:I did some googling about and basically i need to press alt while I am at overlay mode.
When do you expect to have the workspace navigator? I guess because this is missing from cinnamon I don't see the workspaces in overlay mode, right?

thanks for your hard work.
Clem wants to replace it with something like the Compiz Expo plugin.
I wish he didn't remove the workspaces in overlay until he had a working replacement.
lurkatron

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 04)

Post by lurkatron »

awesome, thanks for gpaste!

Return to “Cinnamon”