Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 16)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unixsurfer

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 04)

Post by unixsurfer »

lurkatron wrote:awesome, thanks for gpaste!
have you manage to get gpaste to save what you mark with the left button of the mouse?
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

unixsurfer wrote:
have you manage to get gpaste to save what you mark with the left button of the mouse?
no, im trying to avoid that
unixsurfer

Post by unixsurfer »

lurkatron wrote:
unixsurfer wrote:
no, im trying to avoid that
on the other hand, i am trying to enable it:-) I rarely use ctrl-c to copy so having gpaste to recognize what I mark is a must for me.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Any chance there will be an extension for controlling screen brightness? My keys do not work. Thanks :wink:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

unixsurfer wrote:on the other hand, i am trying to enable it:-) I rarely use ctrl-c to copy so having gpaste to recognize what I mark is a must for me.
Open Gpaste daemon settings and enable Primary selection affects history.
Works for me when it's enabled.
unixsurfer

Post by unixsurfer »

merlwiz79 wrote:
unixsurfer wrote:on the other hand, i am trying to enable it:-) I rarely use ctrl-c to copy so having gpaste to recognize what I mark is a must for me.
Open Gpaste daemon settings and enable Primary selection affects history.
Works for me when it's enabled.
thanks a lot.
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

Glad to see the new cinnamon-settings patch. I had some trouble upgrading to it from cinnamon that was stored in the lisa repository. Synaptic wanted me to remove everything I kept getting messages about broken dependencies when I tried to force the version to the upgrade on the ubuntu repository. I eventually unchecked the linux mint repository and got it to work. Because of another issue when I tried to recompile cinnamon from the latest git commit, I think I found out what happened. The cinnamon in the oneiric repository depends on libmuffin0 >=1.0.0-0ubuntu1~oneiric and my libmuffin 1.0.0 from the lisa repository was not good enough for it.
jamesmania88

Post by jamesmania88 »

I installed everything now how do I get to apply these extensions?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Just curious...i have a friend who uses ubuntu 11.10 and he was interested in installing Cinnamon Session...If he does (using the ubuntu file for cinnamon from the site) will he get updates for newer versions of Cinnamon in his ubuntu update manager? And if so, do they usually become available shortly after each new Cinnamon release?

mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

jamesmania88 wrote:I installed everything now how do I get to apply these extensions?
Go to Menu > Preferences > Cinnamon Settings

Choose Extensions. Then check which extensions you want to apply.

To change the settings go to Menu > System Tools > dconf Editor

Then chose org > cinnamon > extensions. Select the extension and then make the changes in dconf. There are screen shots in the first post of this topic. :)
craig10x wrote:Just curious...i have a friend who uses ubuntu 11.10 and he was interested in installing Cinnamon Session...If he does (using the ubuntu file for cinnamon from the site) will he get updates for newer versions of Cinnamon in his ubuntu update manager? And if so, do they usually become available shortly after each new Cinnamon release?
merlwiz79 is really good at getting those updates in his ppa. He even uploaded a package which included a patch for the latest theme settings before the next official release. You're friend will be in good shape if he adds merlwiz70's ppa to his repository.The link for the ppa is in the first post of this topic.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

thanks mordant23...he will be very happy to hear that :)

just one question though...does he need to install Cinnamon session first and then add the ppa or does he only need to install the ppa?
(pardon my confusion about that...lol)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

craig10x wrote:thanks mordant23...he will be very happy to hear that :)

just one question though...does he need to install Cinnamon session first and then add the ppa or does he only need to install the ppa?
(pardon my confusion about that...lol)
Add the PPA to your repository list and then install cinnamon.
jamesmania88

Post by jamesmania88 »

I have my issues fixed! are you working on themes to import them as well merlwiz? that would make themes easier to install
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

jamesmania88 wrote:I have my issues fixed! are you working on themes to import them as well merlwiz? that would make themes easier to install
Sorry I'm not working on themes at the moment.
I'm moving soon so I don't have much time to work on the PPA.
It would be nice if the cinnamon plugin installed the applets, extensions and themes.
Compatible themes should be here http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

jamesmania88 wrote:I have my issues fixed! are you working on themes to import them as well merlwiz? that would make themes easier to install
I've put some thought into a theme repository, and I've taught myself how to load my own themes into a repository. There may be an easy way to do it, but I think it would be a complicated task to coordinate with the theme designers to get what you need to convert their themes into a debian package. In addition to the theme folder, you also need to create a debian folder. Every time there's an update to the theme, the debian folder has to be changed, tarballs created, packages built and tested, source packages loaded into the repository and then builds copied into all the different series. It would probably work better if the theme designers who want their work included in the repo created their own packages and then could copy them into the central repository.

It's an interesting thought and I'm curious if there is an easy to manage it.
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

I've put some thought into a theme repository, and I've taught myself how to load my own themes into a repository. There may be an easy way to do it, but I think it would be a complicated task to coordinate with the theme designers to get what you need to convert their themes into a debian package. In addition to the theme folder, you also need to create a debian folder. Every time there's an update to the theme, the debian folder has to be changed, tarballs created, packages built and tested, source packages loaded into the repository and then builds copied into all the different series. It would probably work better if the theme designers who want their work included in the repo created their own packages and then could copy them into the central repository.

It's an interesting thought and I'm curious if there is an easy to manage it.
emt_1

Post by emt_1 »

Very very frustrating, can't get ppa to work "Unable to locate package cinnamon-extensions-places-menu" and etc for all extension packages
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

emt_1 wrote:Very very frustrating, can't get ppa to work "Unable to locate package cinnamon-extensions-places-menu" and etc for all extension packages
Have you made to update the repo package lists 1st?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
emt_1

Post by emt_1 »

yes updated and listed in synaptic.What is "deb" command, error on that too, command not found. "Unable to locate package..."
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

emt_1 wrote:yes updated and listed in synaptic.What is "deb" command, error on that too, command not found. "Unable to locate package..."
Are you running this in terminal?

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa/ubuntu oneiric main
It should be added to Software Sources under the Other tab instead.

Return to “Cinnamon”