Cinnamon 1.2 released

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon 1.2 released

Post by kmb42vt »

bimsebasse wrote:right click on the themes folder (usr/share/themes) and choose "open as administrator".

Tip: after the above, press F3 to get an extra pane, navigate to your download folder in the new pane, move folders easily from download pane to themes pane.
Themes can now be placed in the '~/.themes' directory instead of 'user/share/themes' so no unlocking has to occur. It's up to the user of course.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

kmb42vt wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:right click on the themes folder (usr/share/themes) and choose "open as administrator".

Tip: after the above, press F3 to get an extra pane, navigate to your download folder in the new pane, move folders easily from download pane to themes pane.
Themes can now be placed in the '~/.themes' directory instead of 'user/share/themes' so no unlocking has to occur. It's up to the user of course.

The only themes folder I have is in usr/share/themes. Are you saying to create one in the home directory?
Alohacoconut78

Post by Alohacoconut78 »

Cinnamon seems to be moving in the right direction :)

Easier configurability; Panel layout, desktop effects and steps taken towards applets/extensions. All good things that I'm sure will become even greater in the near future!
Edit: Also, thanks a bunch for improving the search behaviour of the Mint menu.

Even though I'm just one lone ranger, I'll add the 2.5 main "Issues" that's keeping me from using Gnome+Cinnamon as my main DE. Think of it as a wish list from one of your users :)
1. Ability to only hide top/bottom panel in "Classic" Desktop layout. My personal opinion is that the XFCE panel layout is superior, with one big panel at the top (window list, workspaces, clock, etc - gives you an overview at the top of the screen, since browers tabs are displayed in that general area as well), and one more narrow panel for application launchers at the bottom, set up to auto hide.
2. Performance of the Mint menu. There's significant latency when moving the cursor between parent categories (Accessories/Education/Graphics/etc), enough to negatively impact the user experience. I have a Geforce 7600 GT.
(3. Ability to configure the number of workspaces. I'm used to 3+ workspaces. Although this isn't significant, it would be nice not having to adjust my work flow to unnecessary limitations.)

Thanks alot for the work being put into Cinnamon, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the 1.3 release :)
Last edited by Alohacoconut78 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

z06gal wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:

The only themes folder I have is in usr/share/themes. Are you saying to create one in the home directory?
The '.themes' folder is a hidden directory in your Home directory. Open Nautilus and then type CTRL + H to show hidden folders. Scroll down and you should find '.themes' (has a '.' before the 't'). There is also a '.icons' folder for icon sets as well. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Excellent! Thank you! :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Alohacoconut78 wrote:Cinnamon seems to be moving in the right direction :)

Easier configurability; Panel layout, desktop effects and steps taken towards applets/extensions. All good things that I'm sure will become even greater in the near future!

Even though I'm just one lone ranger, I'll add the 2.5 main "Issues" that's keeping me from using Gnome+Cinnamon as my main DE. Think of it as a wish list from one of your users :)
1. Ability to only hide top/bottom panel in "Classic" Desktop layout. My personal opinion is that the XFCE panel layout is superior, with one big panel at the top (window list, workspaces, clock, etc - gives you an overview at the top of the screen, since browers tabs are displayed in that general area as well), and one more narrow panel for application launchers at the bottom, set up to auto hide.
2. Performance of the Mint menu. There's significant latency when moving the cursor between parent categories (Accessories/Education/Graphics/etc), enough to negatively impact the user experience. I have a Geforce 7600 GT.
(3. Ability to configure the number of workspaces. I'm used to 3+ workspaces. Although this isn't significant, it would be nice not having to adjust my work flow to unnecessary limitations.)
The workspaces are dynamic, if you use two, a third will appear, if use three a fourth will appear etc. The lag in Cinnamon is inherited from Gnome Shell, it's just not a very responsive DE at this point, hope they manage to bit by bit whittle the delay down to something approaching what it was in gnome-panel.
Alohacoconut78

Post by Alohacoconut78 »

bimsebasse wrote: The workspaces are dynamic, if you use two, a third will appear, if use three a fourth will appear etc.
*blush* That I should have figured out. Heh, my bad.
CaveJohnson

Post by CaveJohnson »

I want to cast my vote on the importance of the overview as well, as mentioned by several others above. I understand that the desktop overview is a work in progress with major change incomming.

Before 1.2, I was having a lot of useful fun with it, quickly setting up different terminal, document, and tool application contexts within the different desktops, and then hopping around between them like a very happy programmer. I'm relatively new to Linux, but an experienced programmer elsewhere. I found the overview hopping to provide a very flexible and manageable systems overview: it was especially useful for classifying my work focus into different categories. I know some people are saying that multitasking is the death of us, but I don't buy that. (Well, maybe with 8 seagull managers, I'll buy it.) The ability to re-arrange various windows across different desktops, quickly and with a visual workflow, was the key concept here.

I feel that there is a big opportunity for the future desktop overview in Cinnamon, that it might even more closely represent the use cases indicated above. Being relatively new to Linux (the recent incarnations anyway), I'm pretty impressed by the evolution I see taking place. I'm excited about it actually, and want to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

Would it be hard to make an overview that had some elements of the Awesome desktop, some elements of the old Gnome 3/Cinnamon overview, both mouse and keyboard accessible, and still mesh in nicely with the main cinnamon desktop experience? Even provide desktop context saving (going beyond the hibernate trick)?

Anyway, it's still great to have Cinnamon. Thanks!

(Note that I'm currently using a single 16:9 monitor, but normally expect to use a multimonitor arrangement. With the fluid desktop overview, I found that I was able to dispense with the multimonitor for many scenarios. The one case I personally still really want it would be for debugging a full-screen graphics application, or for certain games. I am glad that there are now user options for placing the menu panels, but I still prefer mine at the default bottom. I also turned off the animations for now, but a subtle fade would be nice, and maybe I will reset for that later.)
bobwirka

Post by bobwirka »

Rehdon wrote:I've just upgraded to Cinnamon 1.2 and, among the good things, I've got issues with some features:

- first and foremost: what are the plans for the overview mode? at the present moment Themes have gone, which is good and something I advocated some time ago, but the workspace view seems to have gone too, and this is not a good thing because if you have only one or two windows in the current workspace the overview will let you see ... exactly that! In other words, it's not very useful at all, especially if you consider that you have open windows tabs in the panel. Assuming this is not a problem on my install, the workspace preview should come back, and perhaps a default option to watch all windows currently open;

- speaking of workspaces, the "dynamic workspace" feature is more and more annoying to me (I know people love it though), is there a way to switch it off? I tried to set a fixed amount of workspaces using gconf, but no way to do it it seems ...;

Rehdon
1) I, too, find the right-side panel view of the other workspaces very useful in overview. Where did it go?

2) Yes, there should be a way to have a fixed number of workspaces; you can do this in Gnome (frippery, I think).
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

I too would like to see the old overview.
I was getting used to it.
You could see all your open windows by using the scroll wheel on the workspaces and drag window to the workspace you wonted.
No going to different overviews.
Because now you have to exit scale click on another workspace to see what is there and continue until you find what you are looking for, not as quick.
I was even getting used to the dynamic workspaces always a extra workspace.
All it needed for me was to allow me to put the hot corner were I wonted it and remove the windows button in overview.
Also what has been fixed with scale, closing last window does not put you back in scale (overview).
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

Hi
I will chime in on the workspaces thing.

I, apparently, was misapprehending what was occuring with my Ununtu/ superos/mint/cinnamon install when I "finished" it in another thread.

Therein I commented that the absolute one thing I didn't like was not having the ability to define the number of workspaces, (the thing about if one opens an app then another workspace appears and one moves the app to that workspace and then can add another workspace, etc).

I assumed that the situation was concommitent with my build being based on Ubuntu which was unity based and that the number of workspaces would be easily defined by the user in some way on a "pure" mint/cinnamon install.

So, am I to assume that it is not in the plans of the Cinnamon team to have the number of worspaces definable in something like system settings or a workspace "switcher" or something?

Just a question, not a complaint.

woodsmoke
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

woodsmoke wrote:Hi
I will chime in on the workspaces thing.

I, apparently, was misapprehending what was occuring with my Ununtu/ superos/mint/cinnamon install when I "finished" it in another thread.

Therein I commented that the absolute one thing I didn't like was not having the ability to define the number of workspaces, (the thing about if one opens an app then another workspace appears and one moves the app to that workspace and then can add another workspace, etc).

I assumed that the situation was concommitent with my build being based on Ubuntu which was unity based and that the number of workspaces would be easily defined by the user in some way on a "pure" mint/cinnamon install.

So, am I to assume that it is not in the plans of the Cinnamon team to have the number of worspaces definable in something like system settings or a workspace "switcher" or something?

Just a question, not a complaint.

woodsmoke
Actually it is planned to have the number of workspaces definable in a future release of Cinnamon as well as a compiz style "Expo" type plugin for Cinnamon so no worries there. And I doubt we'll have to wait too long for it.
drcasper

Post by drcasper »

Cinnamon 1.2 looks good! Some serious movement in the right direction.

Is there a way to style top & bottom panel separately? (css)

and will there be a way, in the future, to add a panel on second, third... monitor :mrgreen:
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

kmb42vt
thankee!
woodsmoke
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

Hi

There is no need to particularly reply to this post, unless one wants to. These are not "problems" they are a reporting of what has happened with the Mint/Cinnamon install(not the ubuntu/superos/mint/cinnamon install of another thread).

The updater produced a nice set of updates and it went smoothly.

I also installed the extra extensions as per another thread.

Comments:
a) The weather applet does not appear after the update but the weather configurator is in the menu and appears to take the location.
b) The hot corner is enabled in "overview" but seems to be gone. When the "overview icon visible" is ticked nothing appears.
c) There is only one theme, the cinnamon theme that has the image of the sedges and the black menu.
d) extensions now lists: gpaste, auto-move, dock, drive-menu, extended-places, places-menu, system monitor, trash, weather and windows navigator.
When "dock" and "weather" are ticked nothing appears but that may change after a restart.
e) The clock has held full date, and time and AM/PM after multiple restarts.
f) A clipboard icon for gpaste has appeared in the upper panel.
g) neither the upper or lower panel are interactive. They are set at the 35 mm width.
h) nepoumuk/strigi is working correctly
i) Akregator works and will fetch an individual feed or multiple feeds.
j) there are two "sound recorder" items in the sound and video menu
k) wireless works automatically.
L) re: Kontact there are two very important items to report.
i) Kmail as an akonadi google resources works consistently.
ii) the Kcalendar akonadi google resources WORKS.... as opposed to the situation in two other distros, one a KDE and the other a Gnome2.

The fact that the Akonadi google resources calendar is either working in Cinnamon or in the underlying Mint is quite a significant thing and I will be CLOSELY monitoring the situation and will report back.

All in all, things are perking along nicely for Cinnamon and the developers are to be congratulated and thanked for all of their hard work.

woodsmoke
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

Followup to the above.
a restart did not place either the weather applet or the dock in any place that I could find them.

I forgot to mention in the above post that the system monitor preference seems to be completely functional.

The akonadi google resource calendar in Kontact is still working.... woah!

woodsmoke
woodsmoke

Re: akonadi gcalendar kontact Cinnamon 1.2 released

Post by woodsmoke »

Hi
I was PLEASANTLY surprised a day ago when it seemed that either Mint or Cinnamon on Mint was configured properly to enable the Akonadi gcalendar resource to work with Kontact.

The situation was that, for several hours I was able to "test" Kontact calendar by making multiple calendar entries in Google Calendar at the Google Calendar site and they all "took" on Kontact.

However, this morning the same situation had arisen that is the bugaboo of other distros, a full bore Gnome2 and a full bore KDE that has the warnings going back and forth that Akonadi can't get the password to work with Google server.

This was using Gnomering.

The "fix" is to remove all of the Akonadi resources and restart and then add all of them back in and then Kontact interacts fully with Google server.

However, even that begins to break down after a while.

I then installed Kwallet and the same thing happened that happens in the other distros, it works once, immediately and then starts the same syndrome.

Apparently it is a bug in how the Mysql database interacts through Akonadi with Google servers as my understanding is. Since Akonadi is just a "middle man" it may OTHERWISE be the interaction between Kontact(using the Mysql database) and then the Google servers.

Anyway, the cut to the chase is that "Mint/Cinnamon" is in the same situation as everyone else until the Akonadi devs fix it.

There is a way to get things working using the Dav resource in Akonadi that I have seen, but it is somewhat beyond me. Possibly someone here might have the time to see if it can be done in a manner that dummies like the old woodsmoker can understand and thereby do a workaround with Kontact and Google.

Anyway, not Mint or Cinnamon's fault.

The distro continues to shine as far as I'm concerned.

woodsmoke
moray33

Post by moray33 »

Hi guys. Where is the correct place to report bugs and make suggestions? Also I could do the spanish translation for Cinnamon, sould I contact Clem or something? Thanks!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

@woodsmoke - Just out of curiosity, what version of Linux Mint are you using or, in case you modified it, what version of LM 12 did you start off with? It sounds like some sort of cross between Linux Mint 12 main edition, Gnome 3 with the Cinnamon DE installed and Linux Mint 12 KDE. You refer to Gnome 3/Cinnamon and Nepomuk, Strigi, Akonadi and Kontact at the same time. I'm a bit confused here.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

moray33 wrote:Hi guys. Where is the correct place to report bugs and make suggestions? Also I could do the spanish translation for Cinnamon, sould I contact Clem or something? Thanks!
Here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

You have to register at github to post issues.

Return to “Cinnamon”