[SOLVED] Weather applet is a NINJA

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
veggen

[SOLVED] Weather applet is a NINJA

Post by veggen »

Hey all.

I keep seeing posts and screenshots of the weather applet in Cinnamon, even a menu option is described, but I can't find it for the life of me. Can someone help me? I'm on Cinnamon 1.2.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
woodsmoke

Re: Weather applet

Post by woodsmoke »

Hi it is an "extension".

System tools, Cinnamon: weather configurator.

if it is not there it is in the repos, type in "cinnamon weather"

If it is not in the repos for you then this thread might help.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=91004

woodsmoke
veggen

Re: Weather applet

Post by veggen »

Ok, there must be something wrong with me. I read the whole "Tips" topic, I read the whole "Cinnamon PPA with extensions" topic and I still don't know how to enable the weather applet.
I added the PPA, I installed the cinnaom-extensions-weather package, I checked "Advanced settings", "Cinnamon configurations", dconf-editor and pretty much everything else, but there's no trace of my weather widget. It must be a ninja! It seems that 50% of advices I find are outdated (for Cinnamon 1.1.3 or so), and the other 50% are just plain incomplete (like, "enable the extension", yeah but how).

Can someone, please, please, provide a dumbed-down version of steps needed to tame this ninja of a weather extension that keeps hiding from me?

(I've been using Linux extensively for about 3 years now, so I don't need the super-dumbed-down version, but I obviously can't get this one right, so I'd appreciate a pretty-dumbed-down-version).

Thanks in advance.
crzen

Re: Weather applet is a NINJA

Post by crzen »

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with it but here are a few things to check for:

Make sure its called -> weather@cinnamon.org
Make sure it is placed in -> /usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/
Make sure this file ->/usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/weather@cinnamon.org/metadata.json
has this line->"cinnamon-version": [ "1.1.3", "1.2.0", "1.3.0", "1.3.1" ],
Make sure its in -> cinnamon settings-> extensions (and checked). scroll the top icons (panel, calender, ect...) sideways
Make sure you did a alt+f2, press r, press enter (to restart cinnamon)
Last edited by crzen on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veggen

Re: Weather applet is a NINJA

Post by veggen »

THANK YOU! I finally managed to resolve it! I think I would have never ever found that Extensions entry in Cinnamon Settings (as I never realized it's scrollable) by myself. Additional thanks for explaining where the extensions actually end up and how I can check up on them! I'm very grateful!

Return to “Cinnamon”