Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
z06gal

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Post by z06gal »

Daniel4lm wrote:Why bother? Open Synaptic, temporary enable Romeo (unstable) repositories, refresh and install Cinnamon 1.3.1 if you so wish.

This is exactly what I did :mrgreen:
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Daniel4lm wrote:Why bother? Open Synaptic, temporary enable Romeo (unstable) repositories, refresh and install Cinnamon 1.3.1 if you so wish.
I was wondering what you guys meant by 'Romeo'. lol
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Looks good, so far! :D

I still am not clear where themes are installed. For another day...
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Where are you trying to install them chaz?
michael.conner

Post by michael.conner »

Cinnamon working beautifully on fresh install of openSUSE 12.1. Glad to see it being packaged for other distros.
axe.gs1

Post by axe.gs1 »

Hi Clem

Thanx for working so hard at making gnome-shell usable to point of forking it, and improving on so many shortcomings! I really look forward to Mint 13 and seeing the whole package in its Glory!

V1.2 of cinnamon was fantastic, and all-but bullet-proof. Sadly 1.3 was(is) a bit buggier. The gnome2 drag and drop function was great to see return to the Panels, and see you and the Team are constantly improving the Desktop.
I saw that there were some issues around the release date last week, so figured I'd wait til I had some time to bang away at it to make it work...

Here are some of the issues, and what I had to do to work around them.

Bugs:
1) weather, system-monitor, and Dock extensions refuse to work.
- I modified the metadata.json for each of the three, and only Weather works now - the others are still missing (used "1.3", "1.3.1", "1.3.0" , and I'm not sure which of them worked, since it tried various combinations and settled on the Shotgun approach - use them all)
2) the top/bottom panel config settings were kind of messed up (bottom panel was totally unoccupied, contrary to v1.2)
* I had to install dconf-editor to manually assign locations of:
- the panel-applets, and the weather extension on the top panel
- to populate the bottom panel with the previously existing show-desktop, and open-application entries
3) the desktop-workspaces in the panel(s) is missing, and I cannot find a way to get it back.

--
Wishlist
1) the "[!]" from gnome-shell -- as much as I didn't like the icon, I liked the fact I could go back and check the notifications for Facebook, twitter, calendar, and even print jobs. I'd love to see that functionality return, since the notification display is so fluid in Cinnamon.

2) The printer-details function from Gnome2. I would like to be able to set again, whether my printer defaulted with duplex or not, or colour or not, etc. I had to fight with it, but gnome-shell desktop (w/MSGE) would show the settings, but it had to be during a job or something. The printer boxes, while showing me the colour-toners are nice, having more control again would be welcomed.

3) Integrating Lightning into the Calendar desktop, like Evolution does. I was a very satisfied Evolution user up until a month or so ago, when it stopped saving passwords and messing up my displays. I fought with it for a bit to no avail, and switched back to Thunderbird & Lightning. I miss the clock in the Panel, and having it have my upcoming events etc. I understand there used to be a work-around for gnome2, and I doubt it is on your radar, at Mint/Cinnamon, but it would certainly be welcomed.

Hopefully this rundown helps you and others, simply by putting some of the issues I saw in one place, rather than all over in bits and pieces in 100 posts.

Have a great day and thanx again for your exceptional accomplishments with Mint & Cinnamon!
AXE
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Cinnamon just keeps getting better and better :-)
Good work Mint Team!
KBD47
PS--one thing I would like to see in a future release is the ability to move the panel icons on the right side, time, dropbox, weather, volume, etc.
PPS--I got weather on my panel by installing indicator-weather from synaptic package manger and then adding indicator-weather to startup applications, just fyi.
aloysius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloysius »

Another small problem with Cinnamon 1.3: Parcellite's menu is partially covered by the panel.
aloysius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloysius »

axe.gs1 wrote:Hi Clem

Wishlist

3) Integrating Lightning into the Calendar desktop, like Evolution does. I was a very satisfied Evolution user up until a month or so ago, when it stopped saving passwords and messing up my displays. I fought with it for a bit to no avail, and switched back to Thunderbird & Lightning. I miss the clock in the Panel, and having it have my upcoming events etc. I understand there used to be a work-around for gnome2, and I doubt it is on your radar, at Mint/Cinnamon, but it would certainly be welcomed.
I certainly second that, but I fear it won't be particularly easy to integrate. :(
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

bimsebasse wrote:Where are you trying to install them chaz?
There was a ./themes folder in the Home Directory. Is it me or is that gone?
I just created the ./theme file and installed a few. I'm not too bright. :)
Last edited by chazdg24 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zerubbabel »

aloysius wrote:Another small problem with Cinnamon 1.3: Parcellite's menu is partially covered by the panel.
Same here. And am I the only one who can't arrange all the widgets to stay where I want them on the panel? Everything is bunched to the left side. I'm running Cinnamon 1.3.1.
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

chazdg24 wrote:
I was wondering what you guys meant by 'Romeo'. lol
Unstable repositories Synaptic->Settings->Repositories->Unstable packages(Romeo)
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

zerubbabel wrote:
aloysius wrote:Another small problem with Cinnamon 1.3: Parcellite's menu is partially covered by the panel.
Same here. And am I the only one who can't arrange all the widgets to stay where I want them on the panel? Everything is bunched to the left side. I'm running Cinnamon 1.3.1.
I had the same problem. In the Applet tab in the Cinnamon Settings, there is a button "Restore Default". I clicked that and everything went back in its right place.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Anybody know how to increase the size of the Menu bar. It is minuscule.
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zerubbabel »

chazdg24 wrote:
zerubbabel wrote:
I had the same problem. In the Applet tab in the Cinnamon Settings, there is a button "Restore Default". I clicked that and everything went back in its right place.
Yes, that fixed it. Thank you!
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Once everything is set up, Cinnamon 1.3.1 is solid. Great work Clem. I can't wait for 1.4! :)
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Once everything is set up, Cinnamon 1.3.1 is solid. Great work Clem. I can't wait for 1.4! :)
aloysius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloysius »

chazdg24 wrote: I had the same problem. In the Applet tab in the Cinnamon Settings, there is a button "Restore Default". I clicked that and everything went back in its right place.
I couldn't locate that button. Is it in 1.3.1 version only?
aloysius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloysius »

aloysius wrote:
chazdg24 wrote: I had the same problem. In the Applet tab in the Cinnamon Settings, there is a button "Restore Default". I clicked that and everything went back in its right place.
I couldn't locate that button. Is it in 1.3.1 version only?
I upgraded to 1.3.1 but "reset to default" didn't do the trick for me. :roll:
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

In 1.3.1 my weather extension has moved over to the left... any idea how I get it back to the right?

Thanks

Return to “Cinnamon”