Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Post by kmb42vt »

bimsebasse wrote:I can see I have to update themes again, it's a 9-5 job maintaining Cinnamon themes at the moment :D And the pay is rubbish!
But the appreciation factor for your work is huge! Okay, so it doesn't pay the bills but think of the popularity you'll gain as a theme artist. :D

By the way, I downloaded and installed Cinnamon 1.3.1 .deb from Github and made the CSS changes to the cinnamon.css file of your "Ambiance" theme for the panel drag and drop highlighting that was mentioned on the 1.3.1 site and it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference in dragging and dropping. I'll be interested in what you find when you make the changes.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I'm gonna wait for 1.3.1 to hit stable before I update the themes, just in case there are some last minute changes or something.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

bimsebasse wrote:I'm gonna wait for 1.3.1 to hit stable before I update the themes, just in case there are some last minute changes or something.

Your Holo theme rocks bimsebasse. I had trouble with the system tray icons but this cinnamon release should fix that :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Holo is brilliant, when tiheum does something it's in a league of its own. He also made the Faenza icons (all application icons in Mint's default icon theme) and the Gnome Shell theme "Faience" which Cinnamon's default theme is based on.
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zerubbabel »

drjster wrote:I downloaded cinnamon_1.3.1_amd64.deb from github per Clem and attempted unsuccessfully to install. Got the following message: Error: Breaks existing package 'cinnamon' conflict: cinnamon ( ) Any ideas?
You have to remove cinnamon 1.3.0 before you install 1.3.1. However, although 1.3.1 fixes a few things, it still doesn't let you put things where you want to in the panel, like the launchers to the left and the date/time and indicators to the right.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

zerubbabel wrote:
drjster wrote:I downloaded cinnamon_1.3.1_amd64.deb from github per Clem and attempted unsuccessfully to install. Got the following message: Error: Breaks existing package 'cinnamon' conflict: cinnamon ( ) Any ideas?
You have to remove cinnamon 1.3.0 before you install 1.3.1. However, although 1.3.1 fixes a few things, it still doesn't let you put things where you want to in the panel, like the launchers to the left and the date/time and indicators to the right.

Doesn't the theme take care of that after the themes are updated for the 1.3.1 changes?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I switched my theme to the default and moved things where I wanted them and then changed the theme to Holo and everything stayed where I had moved it. :D
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zerubbabel »

z06gal wrote:I switched my theme to the default and moved things where I wanted them and then changed the theme to Holo and everything stayed where I had moved it. :D
That's odd. I'm using the default theme, and always have, but the icons on the panel won't stay where I put them.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Removing 1.3 is the easy part. How to install 1.3.1?

I ask as the PPA won't be available for some time. Is my information wrong?
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

havent tried this but seems to be an updated 1.3.1 ppa https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... mon-stable
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

lurkatron wrote:havent tried this but seems to be an updated 1.3.1 ppa https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... mon-stable
No, that doesn't work for Mint 12 only Oneiric.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Why don't you guys just wait until it hits it hits Mint's repos? :D I mean if you are so impatient you might as well pull Cinnamon from git and get the bleeding edge all the time.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

bimsebasse wrote:Why don't you guys just wait until it hits it hits Mint's repos? :D I mean if you are so impatient you might as well pull Cinnamon from git and get the bleeding edge all the time.
Because, for me, today is a holiday. A perfect day for this sort of thing. That's why! :roll:

You seem kinda snarky today with that comment. :P
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

Personally I'll be waiting for the repos to update, but I bet it is a nice learning experience downloading from git. hhmmmmmmmmmm no it has been a tiring day I'll wait :P
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Sammaul wrote:Personally I'll be waiting for the repos to update, but I bet it is a nice learning experience downloading from git. hhmmmmmmmmmm no it has been a tiring day I'll wait :P
I would like to learn how to do it. But it has been tiring, if not absurd. :P
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

chazdg24 wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:Why don't you guys just wait until it hits it hits Mint's repos? :D I mean if you are so impatient you might as well pull Cinnamon from git and get the bleeding edge all the time.
Because, for me, today is a holiday. A perfect day for this sort of thing. That's why! :roll:

Sorry, not at all intended, it's just that if you want the newest Cinnamon always you might as well clone the git version. I'll do a little guide on how to do it later.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

bimsebasse wrote:
chazdg24 wrote:

Sorry, not at all intended, it's just that if you want the newest Cinnamon always you might as well clone the git version. I'll do a little guide on how to do it later.
I'm just cranky because I had to reinstall my system over the weekend. A case for Clonezilla if there ever was one.

A tutorial would be great. :D
bu99zy

Post by bu99zy »

How to compile latest Cinnamon from git

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install git

git clone https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon.git

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install libfolks-dev gnome-common libxml++2.6-dev libtelepathy-glib-dev libgtk-3-dev libnm-glib-dev libmutter-dev libsoup-gnome2.4-dev libgnome-menu-3-dev libgirepository1.0-dev libcanberra-gtk3-dev libgnome-keyring-dev libpolkit-agent-1-dev libtelepathy-logger-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libgjs-dev libcroco3-dev libgconf2-dev libgnome-desktop-3-dev libpulse-dev libecal1.2-dev libedataserverui-3.0-dev gobject-introspection libmuffin-dev

cd Cinnamon

sudo ./autogen.sh

sudo make

sudo make install

sudo reboot
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

Why bother? Open Synaptic, temporary enable Romeo (unstable) repositories, refresh and install Cinnamon 1.3.1 if you so wish.
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

chazdg24 wrote:
Sammaul wrote:Personally I'll be waiting for the repos to update, but I bet it is a nice learning experience downloading from git. hhmmmmmmmmmm no it has been a tiring day I'll wait :P
I would like to learn how to do it. But it has been tiring, if not absurd. :P
And still needing to do a couple other things to tweek the system as it is...but unfortunately with what I do I am almost always mentally exhausted lol I should just quit, take the next 3 to 6 months to fully learn Linux OS and some code, and grab a IT job at some small company that doesn't know any better. Just kidding...or am I?

Return to “Cinnamon”