Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby kmb42vt on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:17 pm

bimsebasse wrote:I can see I have to update themes again, it's a 9-5 job maintaining Cinnamon themes at the moment :D And the pay is rubbish!


But the appreciation factor for your work is huge! Okay, so it doesn't pay the bills but think of the popularity you'll gain as a theme artist. :D

By the way, I downloaded and installed Cinnamon 1.3.1 .deb from Github and made the CSS changes to the cinnamon.css file of your "Ambiance" theme for the panel drag and drop highlighting that was mentioned on the 1.3.1 site and it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference in dragging and dropping. I'll be interested in what you find when you make the changes.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby bimsebasse on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm gonna wait for 1.3.1 to hit stable before I update the themes, just in case there are some last minute changes or something.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby z06gal on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:27 pm

bimsebasse wrote:I'm gonna wait for 1.3.1 to hit stable before I update the themes, just in case there are some last minute changes or something.



Your Holo theme rocks bimsebasse. I had trouble with the system tray icons but this cinnamon release should fix that :wink:
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby bimsebasse on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Holo is brilliant, when tiheum does something it's in a league of its own. He also made the Faenza icons (all application icons in Mint's default icon theme) and the Gnome Shell theme "Faience" which Cinnamon's default theme is based on.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby zerubbabel on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 pm

drjster wrote:I downloaded cinnamon_1.3.1_amd64.deb from github per Clem and attempted unsuccessfully to install. Got the following message: Error: Breaks existing package 'cinnamon' conflict: cinnamon ( ) Any ideas?


You have to remove cinnamon 1.3.0 before you install 1.3.1. However, although 1.3.1 fixes a few things, it still doesn't let you put things where you want to in the panel, like the launchers to the left and the date/time and indicators to the right.
zerubbabel
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby z06gal on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:57 pm

zerubbabel wrote:
drjster wrote:I downloaded cinnamon_1.3.1_amd64.deb from github per Clem and attempted unsuccessfully to install. Got the following message: Error: Breaks existing package 'cinnamon' conflict: cinnamon ( ) Any ideas?


You have to remove cinnamon 1.3.0 before you install 1.3.1. However, although 1.3.1 fixes a few things, it still doesn't let you put things where you want to in the panel, like the launchers to the left and the date/time and indicators to the right.



Doesn't the theme take care of that after the themes are updated for the 1.3.1 changes?
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby z06gal on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:08 pm

I switched my theme to the default and moved things where I wanted them and then changed the theme to Holo and everything stayed where I had moved it. :D
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby zerubbabel on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:11 pm

z06gal wrote:I switched my theme to the default and moved things where I wanted them and then changed the theme to Holo and everything stayed where I had moved it. :D


That's odd. I'm using the default theme, and always have, but the icons on the panel won't stay where I put them.
zerubbabel
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby chazdg24 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Removing 1.3 is the easy part. How to install 1.3.1?

I ask as the PPA won't be available for some time. Is my information wrong?
chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby lurkatron on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:49 pm

havent tried this but seems to be an updated 1.3.1 ppa https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... mon-stable
lurkatron
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby chazdg24 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:00 pm

lurkatron wrote:havent tried this but seems to be an updated 1.3.1 ppa https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... mon-stable

No, that doesn't work for Mint 12 only Oneiric.
chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby bimsebasse on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Why don't you guys just wait until it hits it hits Mint's repos? :D I mean if you are so impatient you might as well pull Cinnamon from git and get the bleeding edge all the time.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby chazdg24 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:11 pm

bimsebasse wrote:Why don't you guys just wait until it hits it hits Mint's repos? :D I mean if you are so impatient you might as well pull Cinnamon from git and get the bleeding edge all the time.

Because, for me, today is a holiday. A perfect day for this sort of thing. That's why! :roll:

You seem kinda snarky today with that comment. :P
chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby Sammaul on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Personally I'll be waiting for the repos to update, but I bet it is a nice learning experience downloading from git. hhmmmmmmmmmm no it has been a tiring day I'll wait :P
Sammaul
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby chazdg24 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Sammaul wrote:Personally I'll be waiting for the repos to update, but I bet it is a nice learning experience downloading from git. hhmmmmmmmmmm no it has been a tiring day I'll wait :P

I would like to learn how to do it. But it has been tiring, if not absurd. :P
chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby bimsebasse on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:39 pm

chazdg24 wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:Why don't you guys just wait until it hits it hits Mint's repos? :D I mean if you are so impatient you might as well pull Cinnamon from git and get the bleeding edge all the time.

Because, for me, today is a holiday. A perfect day for this sort of thing. That's why! :roll:

You seem kinda snarky today with that comment. :P


Sorry, not at all intended, it's just that if you want the newest Cinnamon always you might as well clone the git version. I'll do a little guide on how to do it later.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby chazdg24 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:43 pm

bimsebasse wrote:
chazdg24 wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:Why don't you guys just wait until it hits it hits Mint's repos? :D I mean if you are so impatient you might as well pull Cinnamon from git and get the bleeding edge all the time.

Because, for me, today is a holiday. A perfect day for this sort of thing. That's why! :roll:

You seem kinda snarky today with that comment. :P


Sorry, not at all intended, it's just that if you want the newest Cinnamon always you might as well clone the git version. I'll do a little guide on how to do it later.

I'm just cranky because I had to reinstall my system over the weekend. A case for Clonezilla if there ever was one.

A tutorial would be great. :D
chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby bu99zy on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:47 pm

How to compile latest Cinnamon from git

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install git


Code: Select all
git clone https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon.git


Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install libfolks-dev gnome-common libxml++2.6-dev libtelepathy-glib-dev libgtk-3-dev libnm-glib-dev libmutter-dev libsoup-gnome2.4-dev libgnome-menu-3-dev libgirepository1.0-dev libcanberra-gtk3-dev libgnome-keyring-dev libpolkit-agent-1-dev libtelepathy-logger-dev libstartup-notification0-dev libgjs-dev libcroco3-dev libgconf2-dev libgnome-desktop-3-dev libpulse-dev libecal1.2-dev libedataserverui-3.0-dev gobject-introspection libmuffin-dev


Code: Select all
cd Cinnamon


Code: Select all
sudo ./autogen.sh


Code: Select all
sudo make


Code: Select all
sudo make install


Code: Select all
sudo reboot
User avatar
bu99zy
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:59 am

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby Daniel4lm on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Why bother? Open Synaptic, temporary enable Romeo (unstable) repositories, refresh and install Cinnamon 1.3.1 if you so wish.
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 7:14 am

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Postby Sammaul on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:56 pm

chazdg24 wrote:
Sammaul wrote:Personally I'll be waiting for the repos to update, but I bet it is a nice learning experience downloading from git. hhmmmmmmmmmm no it has been a tiring day I'll wait :P

I would like to learn how to do it. But it has been tiring, if not absurd. :P


And still needing to do a couple other things to tweek the system as it is...but unfortunately with what I do I am almost always mentally exhausted lol I should just quit, take the next 3 to 6 months to fully learn Linux OS and some code, and grab a IT job at some small company that doesn't know any better. Just kidding...or am I?
Sammaul
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Cinnamon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests