If you had ONE request for the Cinnamon devs what would it b

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
woodsmoke

If you had ONE request for the Cinnamon devs what would it b

Post by woodsmoke »

Remember.....just ONE, uno, not three, but....not MORE as in the song from Oliver!, but just ONE....just one, itty, bitty, little, eensy, teensy little request...your ONE FAVE THING......

I'll start off....

I realize that it is a "compiz thing" but...if there would be any way that it would be "easy" for the user to put different wallpapers on different workspaces.

I really DO use the workspaces...and it is almost always four. The different wallys help the poor old, decrepit, enfeebled woodsmoker keep track of things..

Um....what WAS it I was writing.... oh well... :?:

OH yeah!! :lol: different wallys on different workspaces...

woodsmoke
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: If you had ONE request for the Cinnamon devs what would

Post by xenopeek »

The option to have multiple columns of favourite applications in the menu, with the applications icons being reorderable by dragging them.
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

I'd have to say Compiz support. It's the only flashy window manger that doesn't spack out my little old netbook :lol:
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

fixed window placement like in the compiz plugin of the same name (obviously full compiz support even better)
joshuar9476

Post by joshuar9476 »

auto hide just one of the two panels ... for me, the bottom one autohid
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

lurkatron wrote:fixed window placement like in the compiz plugin of the same name (obviously full compiz support even better)
+1
herecomesrob

Post by herecomesrob »

I'd like to be able to reorder my favorite applications. I wonder why this function hasn't been implimented yet.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Zeitgeist integration in the menu, that's the only major MIA left for me - and it would bring Cinnamon's menu up to speed with the Windows start menu, with Mac's Spotlight, overview search in Gnome Shell and the dash search in Unity, all these lets you quickly open recently used files and folders without having to navigate through folders and subfolders or ever touch your mouse.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

herecomesrob wrote:I'd like to be able to reorder my favorite applications. I wonder why this function hasn't been implimented yet.
You can do that in dconf editor while you're waiting for drag and drop reordering functionality.
mikemmm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikemmm »

I'd like Cinnamon to have its own "fallback" mode for machines that don't have adequate 3D graphics cards. Of my four PCs, three have ATI cards (perfectly good graphics, but they just don't work well under Gnome 3) and the other has an old VIA graphics adapter.
Foxandxss

Post by Foxandxss »

Multi-monitor support.

Would be lovely to have another cinnamon bar on the secondary monitor with it own applets (like the date) and of course the current apps opened on that monitor (but this would be complicated maybe).

I love to play ps3 on my main monitor and the secondary to irc, web, pidgin... but I cannot do an "alt-tab" through them because the "alt-tab" popup is in the main monitor. So having another bar with the opened apps there, would be goood :)
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

Restoring the functionality from Gnome2 for sub-menu entries. All of the Gnome3-based menu solutions will smush everything in sub-menus into a single top-level item. Not a very clean option, especially when working with a number of apps under Wine (20 "readme" entries all in one big list? yuck!).

(I would have asked for a LMDE version of Cinnamon, but I expect that will be available once Gnome 3.x works it's way into the LMDE repositories)
L0r4n0n

Post by L0r4n0n »

Hey LM-Forum,

If I had one request I would ask for a grid view of workspaces. I want to have my 2d arrangement of workspaces. But as if that is coming i don't request this here.
Finaly i would have a second request for a more powerfull launcher. This lightweight one-line-launcher is nice and fast. But i would like sth like gnome-do or Everything-starter ( E17 ) - that would be the king-deal!

In Greets,
L0r4n0n
pongo

Post by pongo »

I'd like to be able to name the desktops, have the names appear in the desktop switcher and have a settable number of desktops (i.e. more than one) at start-up. I know the present setup is inherited from gnome-shell and we may be stuck with it for that reason. I kind of like the "extra desktop on the end when you need it" thing, but it would be nice to start with all of the virtual desktops I normally use, populated with the apps that normally run on them at start time. The assignment of apps to desktops thing works really well in Cinnamon 1.3, but it would be great if you didn't have to start them all manually.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

The integration with the messaging app calendar. Those two options made gnome shell the best experience I've had with the desktop since I tried Mint for the first time.
zangib

Post by zangib »

A notification system working with Banshee so I can see what song starts playing
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

I'd wish the "official" existing extension "Iconized Windows List" could quickly work with 1.3 as an applet.
Morrog

Post by Morrog »

dynamic tiling of the windows via shortcuts (like in compiz grid, but better even more like in openbox' GrowToEdge which is based on touching the edges of the other windows).

this really makes me still use openbox on my Mint machine, because it allows for fast resizing and arranging all the windows (combined with moving the windows around via shortcuts)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You have totally crippled 'Overview' mode.

Overview mode is the future.

Put it back now or fail - your choice.
veggen

Post by veggen »

Just to keep up the good work. Cinnamon rocks!

Return to “Cinnamon”